Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Help Tuning Broad heads  (Read 953 times)

Offline Junction hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Help Tuning Broad heads
« on: September 21, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
I have been tuning broadheads but having trouble with hitting target knock right. Field points were strait in. Played with the brace height went from 8 3/8 to 8 1/4 that fixed the knock right but believe arrow is hitting riser.
I think the arrow is hitting the riser as is it passing by. After the release I can hear something hitting the riser. I don't know if I should go back to 8 3/8" brace height and try to stiffen the arrow or weeken the arrow. They shot well with 125 grain field points, strait into the target (no up/down or left/right).
I am unsure what to do. I'm still a rookie.
Stats:
Martin Dream Catcher 50lbs at 28". Draw length is 28 1/4". Arrows are XX75 2413, 29 1/2" long, 4" feathers. Snuffer broadheads 125 grain.
The arrow still hits in the yellow of target (when form is right) but it is slightly knock right in the target.
HELP.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help Tuning Broad heads
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
Try a 2018 with 5"-5 1/2" feathers and you should see those Snuffers flyin' like darts.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »
If you are hitting where you aim then don't be to concerned with a little nock right so long as you can do it out as far as you'll take a show. A higher brace height will slightly stiffen the arrow.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
" They shot well with 125 grain field points, strait into the target (no up/down or left/right)." Another example of why that's a poor tuning method. If you are hearing the arrow hitting the riser thats a stiff condition. You need more point weight. If you step back and shoot field tips and BH at a spot, where do the BH group in relation to the field tips?....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »
I agree with OL that the riser slap means your 2314's are too stiff.  Broadheads are much more critical of tuning than field points.  Paper tuning works better for me than bareshafting.  Shoot close and see if the FP's aren't showing stiff as well.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Junction hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
Thanks Guys.
Went back to original brace height and added weight to the tip. It took away the noise and straitened out the arrow.
The broad heads are hitting better now than the field points.
If I go back to the 125 I should go to a weaker shaft like to the 2018. (?)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©