Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Please critique my form  (Read 900 times)

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Please critique my form
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
Jeff, first, No claims to expertise here, so if you are happy with where your arrows land, disregard my comments. Otherwise, I'll point out a couple of things I see:

Your draw elbow is out of alignment with the arrow, a bit high. You are pulling more with your shoulder than your back. Having someone help control the alignment of your elbow as you draw slowly will help ingrain the appropriate muscle group. I know you'll feel the difference the first time you try it.

It looks like you are not reaching a consistent anchor. Although I am also a "pull through" shooter, I know my finger hits the corner of my mouth every time. It's much harder to do with 3 under and with an anchor much higher up on your face. I'm sure it can be done, but just watching the shots looked as if you might have some fliers simply because of this possible anchor inconsistency.

On the frontal view, it's hard to tell about alignment but it looks like you might might be vassilating in/out of alignment. Again, it's hard to see, but I think you are twisting your torso different amounts, some shots "open" stanced, some closed, some right on.

Again, I shoot pretty fast too...but you may be running it just a bit too fast for now. Try slowing it down some, imagine shooting an animal while it's watching you and moving too quickly will spook it, thus giving your brain a bit more time get sight picture etc. locked in. It's certainly possible to shoot very accurately, very quickly but not until the form is rock solid. And smooth, fluid, quick, does not look hurried....yours looks a little rushed.

Bow arm looks good and steady!

What are you results downrange?
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »
JC,
Thanks.  I didn't feel like I was rushing until I watched my video and realized I went pretty fast.  I showed them to my wife last night.  She has little experience, but even she said, "Why do you go so fast?"

My downrange results improved when I put a Neet Pro Rest on.  I was shooting off the shelf and just couldn't get any consistency.  When I shoot 5 arrows, I typically get 3-4 in a nice tight group, and 1-2 flyers.

Now about my anchor.  I know I have some trouble with that.  I'm a little gun shy, or string shy, to be more accurate.  I shot some after a nose surgery and my string hit me in the nose.  Now, when I try to anchor solid, I find myself yanking my head away on release.  I anchor now, but not for long.  I have a spot on my cheekbone when I touch it, I release.  I'll have to work on turning my head so the string doesn't hit it and I can keep my head still.

Please tell me more about closed and open stance. I've been looking at Terry's clock and attempting to get that stance down.
Jeff

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
Jeff

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »
In my experience, drawing the string too far is typically what causes the nose damage. Your head should stay perfectly still/static during all phases of the shot....the string, hand, arrow should come to your face, not vice versa. The problem comes when you anchor on a spot, draw past alignment, you will actually turn your head into the draw...and subsequently right into the string.

Some guys with cross dominance experience additional problems with this same thing...maybe they are subconciously trying to get "the real" eye into alignment with the shaft at the peril of turning more of their face into the string.

Now, your head looks pretty still from the rear angle (though the link took me to the front angle, I found it next to it). It could be, you are just simply "over drawing". I know it sounds impossible since many preach "drawing as far as you can is a good thing" but if it gets form out of alignment, it certainly can be counter productive. Maybe a video from overhead would confirm your elbow is coming back past alignment with the arrow, especially when combined with your anchor further past the mouth corner?I've also seen this with guys anchoring further back on their face. Just because you can anchor at your ear doesn't mean that's the best place.

Just give it a try drawing "not quite so far" and see if it solves the string hitting problem. Then, if it does, work on a more solid lockup for anchor...a very definate, very repeatable spot. Remember, the anchor is the "rear sight" of your targeting system...if it doesn't repeat exactly the same each time, your accuracy will suffer just as much as with a waivering bow arm.

Then, lower the elbow down just a bit, slow down your shot process a little until you are hitting the way you want. It may naturally speed up after that...but if things go awry again, slow it down again.

Take your time and don't expect it to change overnight, it may take some time to get over the fear of nose scars.

We all still have fliers: concentration wanes, fatigue sets in etc. But you are more than capable of dwindling those down to 1 out of 10 or 1 out of 20 instead of 1-2 out of 5. You CAN improve your consistency...just get that rear sight aligned and in the same spot every time. Your front sight looks great so you have part of the battle already licked   :thumbsup:  

Again, give it a try. What I'm saying may not be right for you and your body structure, but I think you'll see some positive improvements with a few minor changes.

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 01:52:00 AM »
Went back to the range today.  Had to switch to the ACS CX, since the Habu riser is being sent in for a new set of limbs.  

Stopping at anchor made a big difference.  I'm not there yet.  Still need to work on my elbow alignment.

I put an elevated rest on my ACS since I was doing better with one on my Habu, but my arrows were everywhere.  Took off the elevated rest and put some velcro on the shelf and my groups tightened up.

I'll post more video in a week or two
Jeff

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »
It's my opinion, if you add an elevated rest you will need to retune from scratch. I also beleive an elevated rest does have some slight advantages over shooting off the shelf, mainly forgiveness...but it's not a panacea to form problems. I think you'll find when you get things dialed in a bit tighter with your form and shot process, you'll be very happy with your results shooting off the shelf.

Good luck!

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 04:47:00 AM »
you will find the elbow will be easier to get into alignment if you use more back tension. this will also allow you to remain at anchor for a time and also use your pull through style. As you squeeze the last of the draw with the back/shoulder muscles.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©