Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: learning to shoot  (Read 908 times)

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
learning to shoot
« on: September 25, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
i am learning to shoot my great plains palo duro since this summer.it's remarkable to say the least as i can now group good out to 20 yds.this has not been easy.for the past 30 yrs i shot only compounds,took my share of deer and even won some local archery shoots.i could never get the right combo until this summer as i was determined to keep trying.i went to 3 fingers under so i could see the shaft better.i was forever trying to find the right arrows.this was the hardest thing.i had several diff lengths and diff shafts and i would shoot everywhere.finally i ordered a gold tip with all the diff wts and bare shafting techniques from black widow and ol adcocks web.it was like starting out all over again with me doing all the research.i guess thats why people start and quit this trad stuff.
see

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: learning to shoot
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 06:31:00 AM »
Glad to see you stuck with it. Learning everything
mostly on your own is the best way to learn it.
It just takes time, and effort. You are right, thats why people start and quit this trad stuff.

The ones who stick with it, are the ones who get the most out of all of it. As you now know, once it comes together, there is nothing like it.

The bow, the arrow, and you. A compound bow full of gadgets robs you of being as much a part of the shot. A traditional bow invites you to be a part of the shot.

Congrats... enjoy!!!!

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 08:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bonebuster:
A traditional bow invites you to be a part of the shot.
Well said!
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
thanks for the encouragement.you are exactly right.you do indeed become part of the shot.when i see the fletching close together and hit where i aimed it's a thrill. makes you want to practice and see how far you can increase the distance.one thing i am also learning it's good to mix the shot distance up.some further advice i need:i started shooting better 4 weeks ago when i had to shoot inside due to rain.2 nights ago i was grouping 25yds again inside.why am i shooting better inside. targets were 3 feet off ground inside and outside they were at ground level.please coach me as this is like christmas to me now.
see

Offline Pete Darby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »
I see you have learned part of the secret of becoming accurate.  Most Compound archers think you get a bow and some arrows and it is all practice from there on out.  From brace height and nocking point to arrow length, spine and weight it is just as complicated a procedure to have a well tuned rig as it is for a compound bow with it plethoria of sights rests and the rest of it.  About the only diffence is that many compound archers just have their archery shop do the setup for them while recurve and longbow people have to figure it out for themselves.
Pete Darby

Offline User Name

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pete Darby:
Most Compound archers think you get a bow and some arrows and it is all practice from there on out. . . . .  About the only diffence is that many compound archers just have their archery shop do the setup for them . . . .
That was me alright!  At first I was thrilled with barebow when I thought you grab a stick and string and away you go.  Then I was discouraged to find that there was so much adjusting and tuning.  Said I, "Why not go back to compound if I am just going to talk equipment again?"

But I then went full circle when I saw that I was "figuring it out for myself".  

This sport is HARD!!!  I love it because I try and try and still suck, but a little less each time.  And there is a lot to learn . . . my bows and arrows do "invite me to be part of the shot."

Because I love custom woodwork, it hasn't saved me that much money, though.

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 08:05:00 AM »
In the ten years I shot compounds before returning to traditional archery, it was just archery when I started in the 60's, I would make the comment often.  "if they outlawed compounds bows, it would make very little difference to me, I would grab my stickbows and keep on trucking".  Most of the guys I shot with then looked and laughed.  They would say something to the effect that they would just grab their rifles and hunt.

I even head many of the same guys say that if they had to choose between a bow(of any kind)and a rifle they would pick the firearm.  

Based on those statements, I believe that bowhunting is NOT for everyone one.  While it appears that Modern bowhunting seems to be something everyone can do,  Traditional bowhunting is NOT! Not for lack of ability, but lack of commitment. While I love the company, I don't think I mind much that most people are not going to take the time to work at it.

This may just work out to be an advantage, although it is hard to argue that there is strength in numbers.  It is also hard to argue that Quality is better than Quantity.  

NUFF SAID!
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
you guys are a great bunch to just sit around the web campfire and tell it like it is.i've been on here less than 1 month and already sense everybody cares a lot about their bro hunter and this great sport of finding the right sight picture till it just feels natural to let it go.i guess thats part of instinctive shooting and fine tuning your abilities till you can hit where you want.sure is a process getting here but man its a joy when it starts coming togther.
see

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©