Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: need shooting advice  (Read 874 times)

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
need shooting advice
« on: September 30, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
i am shooting 55#@28.bow is great plains palo duro.shooting gold tips woodgrain @31 1/2 in.measured from where string touches nock to end of shaft. at 20 yds they fly perfect with no feathers.with 150gr heads(fld pts&150 gr steel force broadheads)they fly perfect.they stick out 3inches beyond the shelf.with the added 3in of the broadhead that equals 6inches.if i cut the arrow shorter they don't fly as true.any thoughts on how to shorten length of arrow and still fly true.
see

Offline five-oh

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: need shooting advice
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
When the shaft is shortened it stiffens up, so try adding more point weight.  Three inches is quite a bit to cut off, I would try a point weight of 175 to 190 grains and see how that works.
"Sic Vis Pacem Parabelium"
(If you want peace, prepare for war)

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
See:
Five is correct, however you could also go to a lighter spine shaft.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline artvin

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »
Even if your bow is rated for 55# @ 28" You probably have a shorter draw lenght.  Have you had anyone help you with measureing your correct draw length?

If not here's how to do it.  Give a friend a felt tip marker.  Draw an arrow to your anchor point and have the friend mark the arrow at the back (side away from you) of the bow riser. Then measure. This will be your correct draw length. For broadheads you want your shaft about 1" longer than this measurement.

What was told you up above is correct. When you cut you arrows shorter you stiffen your shaft.  You can correct this by either going to a lighter spined shaft or go to a higher weight point.  Three inches is to much to make up for by moving you brace height on the bow.  You can fine tune your arrows (key work is "fine" not a major tuning option) by raising your brace of your string. This will stiffen the shaft.  Or, you can take a few twists out of your string which will weaken the shaft.

Art
I'd rather wear out than rust out.

Work is the beginning, the middle and the end of success.

www.archeryleather.com

Offline five-oh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »
Artvin is right, you should measure where your draw is before you start hacking on arrows.  But another idea if you don't have someone around put a loose fitting clothespin on the shaft and draw to anchor.  Then measure from the throat of the knock to clothespin.  I've also seen guys spray the shaft with some anti perspirant deodorant.  It put a white pilm on the shaft, then as you draw the arrow, it wipes off, and you measure up to where it's wiped off.  I also wouldn't use your fist measurement bcause that one will probably be a little longer, when you are consciously drawing the bow.  Just be real ohonest with yourself and draw it as you normally would.
"Sic Vis Pacem Parabelium"
(If you want peace, prepare for war)

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
thanks guys,i will try some different wts on the front end.the gold tips i have are 55-75 spined.i may need to try the 35-55 spined arrows.whats a good aluminum size to try?i like carbons.i guess the best way right now is try the diff wt method.thanks for the info.see
see

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©