Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: learning to shoot properly!  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Clem

• Trad Bowhunter
learning to shoot properly!
« on: October 04, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »
Just a few thoughts about practice and proper form. I've been shooting my longbow for about 8 months now and have been inconsistent at best. I have no one to help me learn how to shoot, except a few books and the internet. I've read on this site and others that to ingrain proper form into my muscle memory I should "blind bale shoot". Well after 8 months "blind bale" shooting did absolutly nothing for me. Actually it made me worse. The problem I found with that style of shooting is there is no feedback. At 10 feet with no spot on the target to shoot at you do not know if you made a well executed shot or not. When I moved back to 12 yards and shot a bare shaft, it was wasy to tell if my form was off. If my form was not good, I would not be near the spot I was shooting at, and usually my arrow would not be sticking in the target any where near to straight. I thought this may help some new archers like it helped me. If you don't have someone to watch you shoot, or don't have a video camera I don't think that blind bale shooting will do any good until you actually learn what proper form is. One last thing, when I draw my bow, split fingered, to the corner of my moth and release I can't shoot worth a darn. I borrowed a video camera and found that I can't get my elbow to come straight back upon release until I draw just slightly past the corner of my mouth. When I draw just a little past the corner of my mouth my elbow lines up with the shaft perfectly and I can feel my back muscles pulling much more. Sorry for the long post, I thought that maybe I could help someone get past what has been bothering me so long. Now that I have gotten past these two things I can confidenlty shoot out to about 24 yards.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: learning to shoot properly!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
Clem, I'm sorry for your frustration...sadly it happens quite frequently. If you do a search for blind bale, you will find my name pops up frequently....as an opponent to the theory that this type of practice is the answer for everyone. I have had similar experiences as you...it actually made me worse, even more frustrated.

I wholeheartedly agree with your post, and I've heard many, many others with the same frustrations who have not come forward.

Thankfully, you have come through it and are progressing towards your next level. Now go forth and preach the truth...that if some form of practice isn't working for you, change it! Good luck in your journey.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »
I remember when I took the clinic with John Schultz at the Bowhunters festival years ago we all lined up to show our form and we shot no m ore than 10 yards in front of a blind bale(no target) Just a wall of straw. I think the idea is to just go thru the motions knowing each part ,how do execute it from readings ,drawings, personal lessons or video and just releasing into the bales. But after that one shot you pretty much vaguely aim to that arrow from there on. But you can try to keep it vague and not intensely stare at it. Just go thru the motions over and over for several weeks till everything is smooth and closely duplicating all the moves.

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »
I learned in my wheelie target days that blank bale is useless unless you know exactly what part of your form that you are trying to develop and exactly what it is supposes to feel like.

If you know what you want to practice and how it should feel, then the blank bale is the place to take it to the subconscious level.  But if you don't know what to practice, you will waste your time and end up shooting worse than before.

Offline JImmyDee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by Clem:
The problem I found with that style of shooting is there is no feedback. At 10 feet with no spot on the target to shoot at you do not know if you made a well executed shot or not.
You shouldn't be looking for feedback on each shot when shooting the bales; you're striving for consistency and fluidity in each shot-making step.

The idea is that it's easier to pay attention to the mechanics of building the shot if you're not paying attention to a mark you're trying to hit.

You're right about is being more difficult with no one else around, though.  I'd been shooting for a long time before I learned about the "right" way to build a shot; I had many bad habits to unlearn.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by JImmyDee:
I'd been shooting for a long time before I learned about the "right" way to build a shot;
Lots of "right" ways to build a shot...
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline JImmyDee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by JC:

Originally posted by JImmyDee:
I'd been shooting for a long time before I learned about the "right" way to build a shot;
Lots of "right" ways to build a shot... [/b]
Yup!  Thus the quotes...  But after the Hill technique was expained to me and I started paying attention, all the kneeling/sitting/behind the back/offside/&c shots got better, too!

Offline LocDoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »
Interesting thread. My longbow experience (also 8 months) has got me about ready to quit archery completely. I can't shoot the thing worth a tinker's damn. And I have tried everything under the sun. Can't even count how many arrows I've lost. It has been frustrating to say the least. I really wonder if there could be something wrong physically with this bow. I could shoot my recurve pretty good, but now shooting it has gone to the dogs too. Archery should be fun. But part of the fun is hitting what you shoot at at least some of the time. Really hasn't been fun for me since I got this longbow. It's a Bear Montana by the way. I have really grown to hate it. I mean...cut it up with a saw and burn it kind of hate. (I still might) What really kills me... I was pretty good. No Brian Ferguson, but good. Then I had to have a longbow. Worst mistake of my life. But this bow is pretty tough, as many times as I've thrown it it should be broke by now. I wish it WOULD break. Sorry for the long post but I had to vent.
'Aim small. Miss small.'

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »
Locdoc, please dont blame the bow.I read this often .Some people pick it up easily with minimal instructions and some people havent a clue even with instructions. Go to a good traditional shooter with a longbow and ask him for help. Start with your form and let him /her see what you are doing and then make the corrections .From there just do form for several weeks until its second nature movements.You will be on your way after that. If you are grouping and the groups are off its your aim or arrowspine/nocking point issues. If theres no groups at all make sure you are using matched arrows properly spined to you Montana to eliminate errors.If you havent viewed Hittem like Howard Hill by John Shultz I highly reccommend you view it a few times.Best video out there.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
Clem!!!!! I went through the same thing your going through for almost 2 years....a long long time ago..but it got better when i decided what style i wanted to shoot....I went from a Fluid Shot(no pause at anchor) shooter to a Pause Shooter. The pause helped me line my arrow up and bow arm in my SECONDARY vision while my PRIMARY vision burned a hole in the bullseye. I am not a world class athelete to have everything come together at the moment my hand touches my anchor.. So in short, a pause anchor gives me a second or two to get everything still. You have to take control of your shot. You can't just expect a bullseye at 12-20 yards by just gripping and ripping unless your that world class athelete. I can help you over the phone. PM if your up too it.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Papa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
Are there any archery "coaches" in the TN area?  I am the kind of guy that learns best with some hands on training?

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
Papa, if you ever get around Oxford,Ms..I would help you.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
Where in TN are you?

[email protected]
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©