Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Newbee shooting advice  (Read 1327 times)

Offline jernizzle

• Trad Bowhunter
Newbee shooting advice
« on: October 06, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »
I am hitting the target high and left. At the 10-15 yard range I am hitting about 4" high 4" left. At the 20 - 30 yard range I am hitting about 6" high and 6" left. I am hitting consistanly in a nice group just not where I am wanting. Am I holding something wrong or is it as simple as aiming low and right of what I want to hit?

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newbee shooting advice
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
Your arrows are probably spined slightly stiff. Try a heavier point. It should bring your arrows over as well as down some.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »
Could be spine, could be form, could be the bow. What are you using for a bow...arrows? If your bow is not cut to center, spine is much more critical, but your form can also effect it. I know this because...

My Kota is not cut to center, so I had to learn to adjust. My arrows were not too stiff, but acted just like yours--small groups high, left. I opened my stance a bit, rotated my string hand out (right for a righty) and made sure my eye was looking directly down the arrow. Bingo!

I still drift a shot left if I forget to do any of the above, but it is becoming rarer. I shoot cedar arrows 50-55 spine cut to 29" BOP with 125 gr. points. I tried them at 30 and 31, which didn't help, so I was sure spine was not the issue.

If your arrow flight is good, give these things a try.

Russ
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline five-oh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
Do you cant the bow?
"Sic Vis Pacem Parabelium"
(If you want peace, prepare for war)

Offline jernizzle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »
I have a 55# 68" PSE Sequioa with 55#-60# Easton Legacy arrows. I have a 30 1/2" draw. If I understand "cant" to be holding at an angle, I shoot at around 60 degree angle. I noticed my arrows are also hitting my shelf which is probably why I am shooting left. Is it possible the shelf isn't cut right?

Offline five-oh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »
Is the bow 55# at your draw length or at 28".  If it's at 28' then at your draw you are probably shooting 62-65#, and with arrows spined 55-60# they may be spined too lite.  I would either try a stiffer spine or less point weight.  Less point weight would help stiffen up the arrow.  Also I like some type of stiker plate, on my riser instead of shooting the arrow off of bare wood.
"Sic Vis Pacem Parabelium"
(If you want peace, prepare for war)

Offline jernizzle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »
The 55# is at 28". I am using 125 grain tips. I had a piece of fine suade leather on the shelf but after a few days of constant shooting it had a spot wore through it where it was getting hit.

Offline longbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
Your long draw is a good thing, very good, but it upsets the spine calculations a bit. I would suggest you obtain some 90 grain points, and the next lighter size, 60 I believe as well. That should fit the hitting the riser issue by flexing the shaft less upon release. But they may well then strike even further left.

To work on that issue I suggest some form checks. Aim into a mirror and make sure your eye is over the butt of the arrow, not to the left of it. You can adjust this by changing your head cock and bending more or less at the hips. Then double check your aiming to make sure you are not actually aiming too far left, which is quite common. Next, try several different tabs or gloves. Thicker ones will tend to move impact to the right. Make sure your anchor is firm against your face, not drifting to the right. Check that your follow through is straight back.

Hitting high is usually just a subconcious mental thing and tends to cure itself if you simply let your subconscious know that high is not OK and lower is the goal.

Next time you buy shafts you could try 10 more pounds in spine in the light of  your long draw.

Offline jernizzle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 08:06:00 AM »
Thank you, I am going to try to weed through everything today. I will post the results this evening.

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »
With high left you've got several things going on. Try to correct one problem at a time. If your form is ok and your still high left moving the nock point up will bring your impact point down. Then you can play around with the arrow to bring it right. I usually do the opposite and adjust the nock point last.

Offline jernizzle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »
Just got back in from shooting. I think I got it figured out. I moved my knockingpoint up until the arrow quit hitting the shelf. I didn't even measure it until it was good. To my suprise the "sweet spot" is a all the way up a 1" above 0. Is it normal to go that hgh? The arrow no longer hits the shelf and the arrow has moved down.
I turned my head sharper toward the target moving the string closer to my face. The arrow is now hitting more to the right where I was wanting it to. The only probem is I am now getting a light graze from the string on my right cheek. Not sure if that is going to hurt anything.
BUT, I am hitting center and grouping good. I guess in the end that is what matters.

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 10:14:00 AM »
An inch is not out of the ordinary. As long as you're not bleeding don't worry about the grazing.

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »
Shelf wear usually is nocking point problems.Its forcing the arrow to porpoise off the shelf.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©