Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: What am I doing right...(video)  (Read 1107 times)

Offline CheeseHead

• Trad Bowhunter
What am I doing right...(video)
« on: October 20, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »
...and what am I doing wrong of course.          ;)        

Just switched to traditional this year.  Only been shooting for about 2 months now.  Previously shot compound (years ago)

Bow - 60" Predator Hunter 50#@28" (pulling about 30")
Arrows - SS 2315 cut to 32.5" with 100gr tips

Just looking for some no-nonsense feedback on my form and anything else you can point out.  I just want to get better.

TIA guys...

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What am I doing right...(video)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
Hi Cheese head. Well to me you are doing alot of things good.The few things Id like to see you try is to start your draw from when the bow is down below waist. You hold the bow out towards the target and then draw the whole thing back.It would be smoother and better in hunting with the swing draw . Also makes sure to try canting the bow .When you shoot up or down shots youll see why it helps. If your close say 10 yards an almost 45 degree cant . The farther you shoot the straighter you hold the bow. As for your anhcor release its pretty good.Alittle impovement in keeping the hand on the face upon release will make it perfect. Why not try a longer bow! It will give you a cleaner release and be more forgiving of form error.

Offline Alsea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
Looks pretty good Gus. The video is a little jerky on my browser, but I don't see much glaring error. It looks like you have decent shoulder alignment and consistent follow through. I'd like to see you take a little more time at anchor and expand through the follow through. I see a slight collapse after you reach anchor. Try to make sure your shoulders aren't coming forward during the end of the shot. Keep that chest out in front, keep expanding, don't let it collapse.

One more thing that I noticed was that you seem to have a death grip on the riser handle. Without being there to watch you shoot and study your groups, it's hard to comment. Ordinarily, do you have any right/left error?

Offline CheeseHead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I appreciate you taking the time to watch the videos.  I'll take you comments/suggestions back to the target and see if I can implement them.

Originally posted by cvarcher:
...Why not try a longer bow! It will give you a cleaner release and be more forgiving of form error.
Yeah, I can see that.  It's my first recurve, so I bought a standard size off the shelf.  I think the next one will be longer.  Maybe this give me an excuse to make that sooner rather than later.   :D  

Originally posted by Alsea:
...One more thing that I noticed was that you seem to have a death grip on the riser handle. Without being there to watch you shoot and study your groups, it's hard to comment. Ordinarily, do you have any right/left error?
I do have some left/right error. Of course I also have up/down error as well as combination of the two.     ;)     It isn't really a death grip, but it is firm.  When I really loosen it up it seems like I get a lot of vibration.  I'm assuming that you're saying it should be looser to keep me from torquing the bow.  I'll try tonight when I get home.

Offline tailwind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
I noticed that you have your left index finger pointing along the arrow right up until full draw. This is OK with field points but if you do that with broadheads you may experience a nasty cut.

Offline Lone archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 07:47:00 PM »
Every time you say a little to the left. It looked to me that you collapsed alittle before release. And maybe your arrows are to stiff for a 50# bow. How are they flying? The draw is a personal thing but maybe you should try a swing arm draw rather then a stiff arm draw. Good luck!

Offline CheeseHead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 06:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Lone archer:
Every time you say a little to the left. It looked to me that you collapsed alittle before release. And maybe your arrows are to stiff for a 50# bow. How are they flying? The draw is a personal thing but maybe you should try a swing arm draw rather then a stiff arm draw. Good luck!
Yep, after watching the video I agree.  I need to work on my follow through.

As far as the arrows go, they may be a little stiff.  Its probably more like 56# at my draw and given the overall arrow length, I went a little stiff.  Once things get a little more consistent, I'll bareshaft and confirm.

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
I'm certainly no shooting form expert, but I would concentrate on maintaining your form through the shot (follow through), and get rid of using the index finger to keep the arrow on the shelf.  If you need the index finger to keep the arrow on the shelf then you have an issue with tension or bad form in your glove hand.  If you don't have any problems then there is no need for the finger to aid in keeping the arrow on the shelf.

Offline Alsea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by eagle24:
....get rid of using the index finger to keep the arrow on the shelf.  If you need the index finger to keep the arrow on the shelf then you have an issue with tension or bad form in your glove hand.  If you don't have any problems then there is no need for the finger to aid in keeping the arrow on the shelf.
Somebody better point that out to Fred Eichler...lol!

Offline CheeseHead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »
Yeah, the finger thing is a terrible habit.  I use it almost like a clicker.  I've already told myself I need to stop, especially before I start using broadheads.   :eek:

Offline Dale Sharp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »
Seeing the index finger out there in front makes me wonder if you were having trouble keeping the arrow against the riser during the draw. IF so, take a deeper hook on the string and, as you draw, the string, presuming your nocks are properly snug, will twist and thereby exhert a small amount of pressure on the arrow and keep it against the riser. Then the index finger can stay where it belongs.
"To me, how you take an animal and how you conduct the hunt, and what you gain from the experience is what bowhunting is all about."
-Jay Massey

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »
Fred doesn't keep his finger on the arrow the entire draw.  Its very common for a person to hold the finger on the arrow to keep it on the shelf, but most remove it as they start to draw.  Doing so with bheads could cause a problem.

I agree that your hook on the string will hold the arrow on the string if done so properly.

Here's proof that Fred does not hold his finger on the arrow to anchor....

Masters of the Bare Bow II
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©