Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Arrows hitting left  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Rangeball

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrows hitting left
« on: October 23, 2007, 11:45:00 AM »
I'm shooting a martin x-200 recurve, 45# at 28".  Using 29" carbon express terminator 45/60 with 225 grains up front.

Wensel woodsman broadheads and field points hit together.  Bare shafts and fletched hit together.  Arrow flight looks great, straight down the pipe.  Yet my misses are always left.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance  :)
Genesis 9:3
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.  Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrows hitting left
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
With bh and field points grouping together and field points and bareshafts grouping together, any misses are user error  ;)

Could just be a sight picture issue.  I miss left if I don't get my eye over the arrow (ie don't tilt me head as much as I'm canting on that shot).  You could also be torquing the bow on release.  I watched someone doing that at the last bowhunter ed course I taught.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Rangeball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
I figured it was all me, and will gladly take the blame  :)

Eye over the arrow is what I had figured, but hadn't thought of checking my head cant.  I'll play with that.  I don't think I'm torquing the string, but I'll watch for it as well.

Thanks  :)
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.  Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Offline Blue Moose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
Those 45/60s sound stiff for your setup, even with 225gr. up front. I've had trouble with those shafts being stiff on my 50ish bows. Just a thought.

TM

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 02:08:00 PM »
Groupings like that indicate stiff. If you were getting fliers then it would be shooter error more likely.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Rangeball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »
Initially I thought too stiff, but I'm confused from the great flight and broadheads, fieldtip, fletched and bare all hitting the same spot has me confused.

I don't always shoot right.  Only my misses.  Some days they are the majority, unfortunately  :(

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
I'm still saying it's a sight picture issue.  If broadheads, fieldpoints AND bareshafts are all grouping in the same place that sounds like a nicely tuned setup.
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Rangeball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
I think I tracked it down. Combination of 2 things...  well, like 90/10  :)

I hunt with a thin kind of slick glove on my bow hand, water and wind proof.  When drawing it allows the grip to slid into position with no torque.  I hadn't been wearing it lately, and was probably getting some grip torque.

For the 90%, I'm convinced it's not enough back tension.  "short" drawing the bow keeps my elbow out to the side, and the arrow responds accordingly.  Getting my elbow straight back with good back tension  seems to correct the lefts.

Thanks all  :)

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
When I shoot left, it is usually one of two things,

1. I'm plucking
2. I'm overdrawing

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
If you are short drawing then the left is showing from the arrows being overspined. Sounds like they are real borderline. Overspined arrows will recover and fly straight Jeremy, just to the left because they recover slower.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
I agree Vman, but if the broadheads, fieldpoints and bareshafts are all grouping together normally then that's a well tuned setup.  That's the whole basis of the bareshaft/planing method of tuning.

If he's ALWAYS hitting to the left of where he's looking AND everything is still grouping together, the ol' furry computer needs to be adjusted. ;)   If he's only getting the occasional miss left (flyer) then it's due to occasionally short drawing.  My left misses (also the way I normally miss) are due to a sight picture issue caused by me not getting my eye over the arrow.

Offline Rod Jenkins

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »
One possible answer that I havent noticed being mentioned on a setup that has broadheads, fieldpoints and bareshafts grouping together and the left arrows are only ocasional is....bowhand torque ??

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 07:55:00 AM »
I think threads on right hand shooters shooting left, is probably the number 1 favorite topic here. I just did a search and found no less than 13 threads on the subject this year.. Lot of good info and insights on the left shooting syndrom many of us suffer from. I know I suffer from it too, and can guarantee on my part it is form and execution not set up.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Rangeball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
Earl, what did you input to search for this topic?

Thanks.

And to clarify, I'm not always left.  Just my misses are left.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
RB,
Key word "left" "Shooters forum", "subject only", "any date"  looked again and a couple of them may not apply directly but there are more older threads on the subject as well.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline rideandhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 01:28:00 AM »
If you are shooting to the left you can reduce the size of shelf pad. Just like if your hitting high or low you can adjust your nock up or down. If this doesn't help.......then,

I have the problem of hitting high. I did what I like to consider "adjusting my sights". our eyes are our sights. If your hitting to the Left consistantly, draw back while aiming to the right of the SPOT a little so you will hit the SPOT when you (relax)release. Hold very very steady right there and now adjust your focus to the SPOT. Basically you will train yourself where you need to be holding your bowarm to hit dead on.
This has worked with me anyway. I always have to remember to keep things simple and find a way to shoot that I can consistantly repeat over and over.

Offline Doug Deese

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 03:23:00 AM »
Definately your bow arm grip or your release arm elbow calapsed. Especially if your arrows are flying/tuned as good as you say (broadheads and bareshafts don't lie or hide any faults).  
For right hand shooters: a miss left is easily caused by torquing the grip and the world famous "high right" miss is a signature jerked release.  

It sound like you already figured it   out.  Any type of equipment change like the thin glove could easily change your shooting.  Thats why its very important to practice exactly the way you are going to hunt or shoot targets.
AKbearb8

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©