Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Supreme bow woods  (Read 704 times)

Offline Robinofdahood

• Trad Bowhunter
Supreme bow woods
« on: October 25, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »
Hey everyone.  My first post.  I've been out of Traditional archery for a while, but have the fever again.  I've only shot factory bows.  I have Bear Montanna longbow, Bearcat, and Grizzly and used to shoot quite a bit.  I think what inspired the fever was the desire to get a new bow.  Anyways, I'm looking into a custom 50s style recurve or a longbow.  I'm overwhelmed with the wood choices.  I'm thinking about bamboo lams 'cause I like the way they look and they make sense to me.  
I guess my question is:  How big of a difference do handle, power lam, and limb materials make to a bamboo backed bow provided that the bow is well made, etc.  Is it largely cosmetic?  Are there woods to stay away from(like high oil content or something which tend to delam, etc.?)  Thanks for humoring me.  Great site by the way.  I'm feeling very inspired.
-Dave
So long as the new moon returns in heaven, a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of Archery keep hold of the hearts of men.  -Thompson

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Supreme bow woods
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
Perferences seem to move along looks more than any other factor, I would guess that cost is the second most common factor.  

I have bows with osage, bamboo, and hard rock maple, I have had yew, and others.  I think bamboo is smoother, just my opinion, but I love osage. I am not so great a shot to be able to tell the difference.  

It is the bowyer more than anything else that will determine the durability of the bow. I can't remember the last bow I saw come apart.  I take that back, it was a compound.  

My friend, it is like asking a guy what kind of woman he perfers.  Some like blondes, some brunets, some red heads.  If you like it, more power to you.

That's what I love about this sport, variety...
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline brmize

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
You might get alot more feedback for this on the Pow Wow.  

Brian
"After we've lost a natural place, it's gone for eveyone-hikers, campers, boaters, bicyclists, animal watchers, fishers, hunters, and wildlife-a complete and absolutely democratic tragedy of emptiness."  Richard Nelson

Offline Robinofdahood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'll have to check out the pow wow.  Still learning my way around.  I love the bows are like women analogy.  I'm not gonna touch it with a twelve foot pole, though.  LOL.  Thanks again.

-Dave
So long as the new moon returns in heaven, a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of Archery keep hold of the hearts of men.  -Thompson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©