Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Fingers on string?  (Read 934 times)

Offline doublewhopper

• Trad Bowhunter
Fingers on string?
« on: October 31, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
I asked this question earlier but got no response.  

I have a very thick torso especially around the shoulder area. I have experimented with different grips and finger placements on the string because I cant get the arrow comfortable anchored straight.
I have modified my fingers on the string so that all four fingers are on the string.  Pointer finger on top, and the three fingers underneath, deep near the second knuckle.  I have found I can pull back using my back muscles doing this and not my arm.  I am fairly accurate this way, but I'm doubting myself because it is unorthodox and I'm trying to see if I should be doing this.

Does anyone have any mobility issues that make them alter their form in getting the arrow close to their face?

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fingers on string?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 12:26:00 AM »
I guess I don't see why you would need your little finger on the string. It sounds like you could just shoot traditional split finger to me. You should be using your back muscles rather than your arm anyway...that is correct form. I think you will get a much better release with three fingers on the string.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 02:01:00 AM »
pics of your from would help here. ever tried 3under? more pressure (fingers) on the string can cause unwanted results.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
Your situation is interesting,  I am not particularly thick in the torso, but I have had issues in the past with the string being on my chest.  

I was shooting a bow way too long for what I needed, and a might too heavy?  I also started to cant my bow, started shooting from a more closed stance(with both feet quartering toward the target more)these two things changed my traditional bow shooting life, for the better.

Regarding your four finger release, I think you are cheating yourself out of all the bow has to give by adding more resistance to the bow string.  Having said that, I have seen a lot of things, "strange", in this sport.  If it ain't broke, don'f fix it.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline doublewhopper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
I'm trying to figure traditional shooting out, to where I am accurate at least 99% of the time at 20 yards to a paper plate.  I am shooting a center shot recurve and I have a real hard time lining up my arrow to the picture and I cant anchor to my face properly and easily.  I am wondering if a longbow with the arrow off center would help me out too.   A lot of variables I suppose, but I guess I have to find what works best.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
I am no expert but not too long ago I was in your shoes as a new trad shooter.It sounds as if you are trying to aim the bow to your target. Get real close to your-Say 3-5 yards. Draw your bow back, pick your spot and let down-Do not shoot the first few times. This will help with your form, then shot at this distance 15-20 times. Gradually move back until you can hit your "spot" that you picked 90% of the time.  Draw with your back muscles not your fingers or arm. Hang in there, it will come together with practice.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©