Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: draw length to bow length question  (Read 1065 times)

Offline grimlad

• Trad Bowhunter
draw length to bow length question
« on: November 01, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
I am in the process of getting a new bow for target/3D shooting and am not sure on what to do for bow length. I keep reading where a longer bow (66"+) is better for target archery, but it seems that most bowyers or resources also state that the best bow length for my draw length (27-27 1/2") would be 62-64" (for recurves).
     It seems to make sense that I would lose some of the advantages of a recurve if I get a bow too long for the limbs to open up. To take full benefit of the recurve limb opening up for smoothness and let off, should I get a bow shorter than 66-70", or am I missing another performance characteristic involved?

Thanks for your input and help,
grim
Chek-Mate Crusader 66"

Offline John 4

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: draw length to bow length question
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 05:18:00 AM »
I keep hearing the bow should fit the archer,but I've never read anywhere of a definition of just what fits who.
I'm currently shooting a 66" and find it great.
I draw 28 neat though, so I think I might be lucky,,,for once.
I do think that if a bowyer you trust says 62-64 I would listen to them,after all they know their own product.
Some thing else to condiser is that some bows draw smoother than others of the same length,so if you go for a shorter bow of known sweet drawing qualitys,you wouldn't be losing anything.
Interesting to see what others have to say.
Thanks

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
I believe the recommended bow lengths for draw length suggestions are so a shooter avoids stack at full draw.  While this is very important, it's not the sole criteria that has to be taken into account when it comes to shootability and comfort.  I think fit for one's style & build is most important.

at 5'9" with a 28.5" draw, virtually everyone I asked advised I should be shooting a 60"-62" bow.
The trouble was/is that I found in actual practice 60" bows are almost too long for me to shoot well, and I've yet to find a 62" that works well for me at all.

The longer string, less accute string angle cause me problems with the string making contact with my chest.  This is particularly true when I start wearing bulky hunting clothes.

I can shoot a 60" OK, but am at my best with a 58" bow. I love my little Hunter 56, and  I also find my 52" K-Mag more comfortable (not smoother or easier) to shoot than either of my 60" bows.

If I were say, 6'0" and drew 28.5", I might find the 60"-62" stuff more likely to fit my pistol...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »
I would have to agree with NDTerminator, I bought a lot of 62 inch bows before I found that the shorter ones were a much better fit.  

I am 5' 9" and have a draw of 27 3/4.  Depending on the bowyer, I can shoot as short as 56 inches or comfortable to 60 inches in a recurve.

Longbows seem not to make any difference to me, I have shot the 64 inch to 66 inch longbows, although the 62 inch Widows fill the bill very nicely.

Like ND, When I shot the 64 and 62 inche bows, I had more string contact with my chest than I needed, and it got to be an awful problem.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline John 4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 01:23:00 AM »
Ok,I did some research.
This is a starting point for FITA shooting.
The bow should be 40" plus your draw length.
This makes my ideal 68".
Which is interesting because my go to hunting 3D field bow is an old Hoyt pro medalist of 68" long,and I shoot it better than any of my shorter bows.
I was in my local pro shop this morning and ordered a new Hoyt Dorado.
The bow comes standard at 60" but is ILF compatable so I can put any limb on it I like at a Later date.
Hoyt 900CX limbs cost $NZ1200.

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 07:45:00 AM »
68" for a 28" draw was what most archers used as a starting point for longbows. I am not sure about recurve but 58" seems to be best length for me.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
im 6'2" and draw 30" but i seem to like shorter stuff 58" curve is my b&b.  ive also shot some 56" widow sags. i liked them alot.  i dont think that there is any preformace effects in going short, i belive it is a matter of comfort.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©