Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Gap shooting is the ticket(for me)  (Read 1346 times)

Offline jdupre

• Trad Bowhunter
Gap shooting is the ticket(for me)
« on: November 01, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
It was staring me in the face. Howard Hill and Byron Ferguson use a form of it and it obviously works for them. I had tried it in the past, but it just didn't feel right. A couple of months ago, after trying yet ANOTHER shooting style, I gave gap shooting a sincere try again. Something clicked, and I am shooting better, and more importantly, more consistent groups. The sight picture has become second nature in that I don't have to think about it much. I have also found that after laying off shooting for several days I need few if any warm-up shots to get back on target.
I don't want to jinx it, but I think this is what I have been looking for and it was right there all along.

Offline Alsea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gap shooting is the ticket(for me)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
Yip...after you get used to the idea and get those gaps down it becomes second nature, but it doesn't suffer from lay off and doesn't require daily honing to keep those skills where you can use them and if you pick up a different bow it just takes a few shots to figure out what's going on and where it shoots.

Once you find out where your bow is shooting, you're able to drop the focus on aiming and really get to work on your form. Then it becomes form, form, form. When the form is on, the arrow goes to the mark. No thinking or calculating, just line things up, but when it misses, you'll know why it missed and how to correct.

Fun, huh?

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 12:36:00 AM »
Gap shooting, IMO, is the best all around aiming techinique for archers that like to hunt and compete shooting at various targets and at various distances.

You can eventually master Gap shooting to the point it becomes Instinctive or even evolves into totally aiming Instinctively. You just eventually learn to trust yourself and allow the aiming process to be mediated by the subconscious.

Ray  ;)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by Alsea:
it becomes second nature, but it doesn't suffer from lay off and doesn't require daily honing to keep those skills where you can use them and if you pick up a different bow it just takes a few shots to figure out what's going on and where it shoots.

Once you find out where your bow is shooting, you're able to drop the focus on aiming and really get to work on your form. Then it becomes form, form, form. When the form is on, the arrow goes to the mark. No thinking or calculating, just line things up, but when it misses, you'll know why it missed and how to correct.

Fun, huh?
YEah....SAME as instinctive aiming....you just gotta find what system works best for you...glad you did.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
Terry,

You are correct again, I like shooting daily and honing my skills.  I do just fine on the target range, got a boat load of trophies and medals to boot, and my freezer stays full of fresh game.  

If it works for you, I am happy. However, I don't think there is one way better than another for anyone.  Really hard to keep predudice out of something you feel strongly about I guess.  Seems it has become fashionable to bash "instinctive shooters".  

For those who enjoy the sport of looking down their noses at instinctive shooters, it is alright.  While you are doing that, I will be out in the woods enjoying what God gave to all of us, instinctive and otherwise.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
I had a typo in the second paragraph, it should have read, I don't think there is one way that is better for everyone.  

See, I guess you were right, I more than likely missed that one because I was "instinctive typing"....LOL  I don't care how someone shoots, just keep enjoying it....

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
Fashionable to bash Instinctive aiming???

LOL...I guess that would be like 'The Emporer and His New Clothes' kind of fashion...those kind of guys always get exposed for what they are really trying to cover up  ;)  I've come across a few guys who tried to be Emporers pretending to know something they had no clue about  ;)

Ray  ;)

Offline jdupre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 12:37:00 AM »
I noticed one thing about this technique that is contrary to the "total concentration on the spot" advocates. My concentration is on the whole sight picture, not on any specific point. When I get ready to shoot, I have already picked the spot and divide my concentration between it and the arrow point. Just like in shooting a rifle with open sights, the target becomes fuzzy and the sight picture is the main focus of attention. Too much focus on a point on the target makes the arrow point too fuzzy and makes it more sensitive to aiming errors. Anyway, I'm sold on this method, and like I said, it was right there all along.

Later           Joey

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 01:10:00 AM »
Another term that is often used to describe what you are doing is Split Vision...where the archer splits his concentration and focus between the target and his reference point or points.

Ray  ;)

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »
Black Wolf,

How long did it take for you to get your system to the point that you were comfortable with it?

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
If I remember correctly it's been a lifetime of trying different things but it was within a year or less of learning my gap technique when I first started competeing with it.

When I was about 12, I started off aiming by placing marks on the riser of my Lil Bear fiberglass bow and when I was old enough my parents bought me a compound for Christmas that I learned to shoot with sights.

I soon began wanting more of a challenge and to feel more involved in the aiming process, which is when I decided to go back to barebow. I started off by learning Point of Aim, which taught me my gaps if I paid attention and within a few months I picked up my first real recurve and started mastering my Gap method of aiming. Within a matter of months I was competing and winning local tournaments.

My Gap method has nearly become totally Instinctive. I am consciously aware of my arrow as I line it up with my target...but I couldn't tell you exactly what my gaps are for a given distance unless the distances are close to my Point On distance.

How about you?

Ray  ;)

Offline bwana

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
I have a question for you guys.  You use the tip of the arrow for a gap. Now if you put a broadhead on that is probably an inch or more longer than a field point. Doesn't this change your gap? Do you have 2 sets of gaps to learn, one for field points and one for broadheads?
  thanks bill

Offline jdupre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 11:16:00 PM »
Bwana, there is going to be a slight difference in the gap when you add a broadhead. But, once you get the gap to become somewhat instinctive as Black Wolf says, it won't take you but a couple of shots to compensate. If you are the type that likes to put an exact number on the gap, it should only take a little experimenting to adjust it.

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 11:57:00 PM »
It's exactly as jdupre said...at least for me.

I ALSO don't only use the arrow as a reference...there are gaps created by the riser also and my mind adds all the different gaps in relationship to the target as I aquire the correct sight picture. I've learned them to the point they happen so fast...it can appear that I'm aiming totally instinctively because I am looking at the OVERALL sight picture and not just one reference point.

Ray  ;)

Offline bwana

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I've been thinking trying this but wasn't sure how this would be for hunting. I think I'll give this a try and see how it goes for me.Thanks again
  bill

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
After watching Masters Of The Barebow 1, I was simply floored by Rod Jenkins Gap method. When he explained the method as he illustrated with the diagrams it was like a big ol' lightbulb went off.  It was so simple yet so precise, it was stupid.

Man I couldn't wait to try it! After I found my two zero points and measured the mid-point trajectory I was shooting more consistent than I ever have, and out to 40 yards to boot.  20 yards and in, the kill zone is a gimme.

The only flaw I can see in the method is that if a guy shoots several bows, it will require calculating and learning the gaps for each bow.  That means even more shooting. Hurt me!

Count me in, I'm now fully on The Gap Bandwagon too!!!!
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©