3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rotater cuff surgery on bow arm?  (Read 407 times)

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Rotater cuff surgery on bow arm?
« on: November 12, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
Has any of you trad gangers ever had shoulder surgery? I've got a torn rotater cuff, a torn Labrynth tendon and severe  arthritis in which the orthopedic dr is going to repair/clean out. I've elected to put it off untill end of Jan because of a javalina hunt I drew a tag on. Its in my bow arm and just wondering about recovery time and if I'll still be able to shoot as well when its done!  Let me hear from any of you who have.
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline permian stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rotater cuff surgery on bow arm?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
I had a torn rotator cuff tendon that required surgery to repair. It involved removal of a couple of bone spurs as well as reattaching the tendon to the bone with a couple of moly "type" bolts. The surgery was the end of February 2007, I did not attempt to shoot my bow for 6 months exactly as per the Orthopedic's orders. I did physical therapy as instructed and did not miss doing it for that entire period. At 6 months I went out in the backyard with one of my lighter bows, only shot about three arrows but it went okay. Since then I have progressed, not really in draw weight but endurance. Again, strict discipline was a key to my recovery and doing what the Dr. and Physical Therapist told me.
If you have any specific questions, call me at 432-557-0367 and I'd be happy to discuss more details with you. I was determined to heal for 2 reasons, one - I wanted to shoot my bow(s) again and 2 - once through that surgery was enough. I was in a sling for 6 weeks, 24-7.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
I have had rotator cuff surgery on both sides. Do the therapy religiously and make sure you are dealing with sports doctors and therapists. You should be able to shoot a light bow by 6 weeks and on up from there.

Offline Thaihunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »
I had my surgery December 23rd, left shoulder, I'm right handed. Took five months to recover and be able to shoot consistantly.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 04:17:00 AM »
I like the others had the repair and it does take about 5 months to get back to your prior hunting peak weight of the bow.  I had the left shoulder and at the time of the operation could not left my arm to feed myself. I think the key is doing the rehab and doing it just as the doc tells you too.. good luck and hope all goes well for you..
Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 05:40:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, I will definately do all rehab. As far as a lighter bow, what would you recommend as a starter draw weight post surgery? I only have one 50# recurve. So I will have to look around for something else.

Mark
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
Man oh man sorry to here that. I had pain in my shoulder for months I let it go until I couldn't draw back my bows.Went as far as buying  a 42#er.Went to the Orthopedic and he told me to get an MRI. Went back to the Ortho and he told me that I had a tear in one out of four muscles.He gave me the options I can operate but you'll be in a sling for three to four weeks and out of work for three months minimum. I said I can't take the pay cut difference between the disability Ins. and my regular pay.What else can you do? Well I can give you a cortisone shot and start you on rehab . Let's do it Doc.I can say this. I couldn't do half a push up without tearing up . I'm up to 24 and was  able to start lifting weights again.Maybe I was lucky? Good luck on your operation and heal well.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »
I would not go near a 50# for several months! 25# was my starter bow at 6-7 weeks. At 5 months I was back to 55#.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »
Yeah sorry to hear that-wish you the best of luck and the fastest of recoveries. Get couple different opinions-and then do as the doctor orders-it will help.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline User Name

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
Toklat1 what are your symptoms?  I have been wondering about myself . . . .  Just getting-in-shape pain or something more?

Offline Brutus Hedgeapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
I fear I'm gonna have to go thru with surgery too.
 My right shoulder has been killin me when I do anything over head. I can shoot my bow no problem and am hoping to put it off till january.
 My symptoms are kind of a catch in my socket as my arm goes down and just general mild pain 24/7.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
I had a slight tear in my labrum and 12 spurs and lots of arthritis removed on July 13th. I was shooting again by August 16th., but if it had been my rotator my doc. said 6 months, he told me two with mine but I healed real well. Shawn
Shawn

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
Had a tear in my labrum and shredded a tendon ligament had it reattached with anchors and some bone shaved off to enhance mobility. Did all the rehab and can shoot my bow now but still having lots of trouble with it. still having pain and mobility problems, if at all possible I recomend alternative therapies
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
I had a severe tear in my rotator cuff in my bow arm as well as a torn biceps tendon and had bone spurs. I had the repair surgery and had to switch shooting arms. I can pull easily with my bad arm but it couldn't stand the preassure of holding the bow while it was being drawn. The switch from right to left hand was easy cause I was already left eye dominant.
The physical therapy is the most important part if you wish to continue shooting the same way.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
symptoms are pain in my shoulder all the time, can't lift my arm above my head with any weight, grinding in the socket, if i use the salt or pepper shaker in my left hand, my shoulder just rattles around inside. The orthopedic surgeon has told me after looking at my MRI & xrays that I have the worst case of arthritis he's ever seen. He has also told me that I am a candidate for a total shoulder replacement but he would not recommend it due to my activity level. I am still looking for my first trad kill so after my javalina hunt in Jan it is. Last year I snapped my ankle (talus) in 3 pieces the day before opening day on an Elk hunt back in the Selway Idaho. (OUCH) I could not walk for 3 1/2 mos. I just gotta hunt this year!!!!!!
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hibracehite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »
hey bro sorry to hear. i'm presently recovering from a detatched left pectoralis major tendon(chest muscle). pulled right outa the bone. tore my right one 8 years ago.

torn tendon and ligaments usuallt take about 4 months before doc turns you loose back to your chosen sport. strength will come back 100% after repair. keep your head up and be greatful that we all live in a time and country where we can get our battered bodies back in hunting condition. god bless . best of luck.

Offline Dingus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
Been there, done that!  Won’t bore you with everything that was torn up.  Surgery was 5 ½ hours and now have seven anchors.  Six weeks in a padded/positioned sling.  Three months of PT and more at home.  

First Dr. I went to a few years ago gave me shots and pain was relieved for a while.  After about 18 months of shots, he recommended shoulder “joint” replacement.  Went to another Dr. (for second opinion) that works on local athletes and Olympians.  He said the shots probably allowed me to do additional damage.  After much discussion, research and scheduling, I had the surgery.

If you are convinced the Dr. knows what he’s doing, follow his instructions to the tee.  If you’re not sure, find another Dr.  Same with your PT.  Don’t do anything too early.

THE schedule:  Wanted to get through OJAM, March ‘07.  Built a bow and shot some competition.  Took fifth in the clout shoot.  
Had the surgery April 17th.
Laid up (off work five weeks) and some PT.
Did MOJAM and shot light (30#) bow with Dr. approval.
Stuck with the PT and checked with Dr.
Got to where I could shoot 40#s.  Hunted at McAlester, in Oct.!
Now building and pulling 50#s.

You can do it!
PM me if you have questions.
Dingus

Offline 1gutpile

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
I am scheduled for surgery Nov.29 th..my season will end then..I got shot turkey hunting by an idiot at 23 yards 12 gauge 3 inch magnum #6 tore my perforated my rotator cuff and it has torn since than at least that is what the Dr. thinks..I can't have a MRI due to 250 pellets still in my even though they are lead I have 2 - 2 mm from my heart that will heat up and possibly kill me...so I go under the knife for observation and repair..no tellin what he will have to do...it sucks that for sure...gut
to take from nature the materials needed to take from nature the meat needed....

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
I really appreciate the input and good luck to all of you who are to undergo some kind of surgery. Read some good hunting books while you recuperate! Happy hunting.
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tree Shark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
I had Rotator cuff surgery and repair on bicep tendon ,also spurs removed from cuff. I did exercise at home  and  when I got staples removed I started pulling my 50lb. Ben Pearson Deerslayer recuve back as much as possible. My arm an shoulder got stronger every day and I never had to take physical therapy. Just do as much as possible without over doing it and you will heal up in no time. Good Luck !!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©