Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: What is Gap  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Davo

• Trad Bowhunter
What is Gap
« on: November 02, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
When I first started bowhunting I shot an old recurve with no sights.  I pulled back and shot. I never put much thought into the mechanics I just kept shooting until I hit consistently.  I could pretty much keep pace with kids my age who were shooting compounds with sites.  Now 22 years later I am reading of gap shooting and instinctive.  Pardon my ignorance but what are they. I was never trained or read a book on how to shoot I just shot until I consistently hit the inner 4-6 inch ring of an old paper plate at 25 yards.  If I could not hit every time I needed more practice.  I would like a little add a little science to the art now that I am beginning to shoot traditional again.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."  The Duke

Offline bgram

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is Gap
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
Quick answer is gap is a method of shooting in which one looks and uses the arrow as a reference while knowing how far to hold the arrow below a target.  For example, if you have target at 20 yards, if you below your target say 20" it should hit the bull.  It takes experimenting to setup your gap, but once done it's a very effecient shooting method on targets and hunting.  

Instictive is shooting an arrow basically using muscle memory and repeated reptitions ground in.  You don't reference the arrow at all, you stare or burn a hole in your intended target, put the bow on target, and release.  

Both are accomplished through practice of form over and over, just like anything else that is learned or required.  

Rod Jenkins explains gap very well in the first Masters of the Barebow DVD.  Instictive is also shown, with a great demo of done by Dale Karch of 3 Rivers Archery (if I remember right he references off the arrow, but doesn't have a set gap, he refers to his style of instictive).  The DVD is a great video to see different styles and ways of approaching things.  Like it has been said, nothing works the same for everyone, but something can work for someone.  

Not sure if I answered the way you wanted and I'm sure you'll get some other answers.  Good luck in which ever you try, but do yourself a favor and try at least both.  You never know what it takes until you at least give it a honest try.

There's also point of aim and split vision, which are along the line of gap shooing, different variations of it though.

Offline bgram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
Should have said if you hold below your target say "20".  Gap is set knowing specific measurements to hold beneath and above your target to hit it.  Sounds more complicated than it really is.

Offline Davo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 02:06:00 AM »
Now I understand.  I guess I was basically an instinctive shooter.  I will experiment with both and have my son do the same
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."  The Duke

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
Sorry Alsea, had to pull your post as we don't allow links to other message boards....policy since day one. And....

With all due respect, don't confuse 'bruising someone' as you say, with them correcting your disingenuous comments about instinctive aiming. When you make false statements they're gonna get corrected.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Alsea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
Sorry Terry, I wasn't aware of the linking restriction, spose I should've looked first. Didn't occur to me to do so, I apologize.

As for the commentary, frankly I don't understand, my posts have been sincere.

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 12:12:00 AM »
Davo,
It sounds to me as though you should keep doing what you are doing and forget the "science".  If you can hit the kill-zone of a deer consistently at 25 yards you are certainly good to go for big game at that range.  Might I suggest you try for rabbits and squirrels?  These "lesser" game animals force you to hit an even smaller target.  They'll make you a better archer.

I do see a blurry arrow in my lower peripheral vision and use it to align with the target windage-wise.  Elevation is something I learned by shooting from extremely close range and then moving back a step or two at a time until I learned each shot.  The result is that I align each shot visually for windage and determine the elevation without conscious thought.  Some might say that my elevation adjustment is "instinctive" but I'm here to tell you that it is the result of thousands of shots made a different ranges until my feeble brain learned how to do it.  I'm confident of nailing a deer in the vitals out to my self-imposed limit of 20 yards.  On a good day I'm even a serious threat to rabbits and squirrels at the same range.  It's all fun.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
Davo,

If you are wanting to add a little 'science' or in other words 'more conscious thought' into the aiming process...I would highly suggest learning to Gap.

It is far more easier to correct your mistakes or understand what went wrong with a shot when you are Gap aiming when compared to Instinctive Aiming.

And before you know it...you will probably be shooting like jhansen or me...where we have mastered our Gap aiming style to the point that it has become almost instinctive.

Some Gap shooters have mastered their aiming techinique to the point it has evolved into aiming totally instinctive.

The issue that basically seperates the 2 is that while aiming totally instinctive, the archer doesn't use any reference points consciously to aim. They have TAUGHT themselves to allow the subconscious mind to mediate the aiming issue.

Basically what a Gap shooter does to achieve this...is trust themselves to feel or subconsciously know when they are on target. At that point they are no longer Gap shooting as defined by the different aiming techiniques. They are now aiming totally Instinctively.

Hope that helps.

Ray  ;)

Offline Davo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
I am still not sure what I am doing.  For lack of a better way to say it I feel the shot which so far is ok but not accurate.  Its in the kill zone but it almost feels like its a luck shot but I do it 8 out of 10 and the other two are pretty close.  I am not sure what I am seeing.  I keep both eyes open, seem to point the arrow towards the ground or low and when it looks and feels right I release.  I think I have a veiw mechanics I need pointers on which I posted under accuracy and I need to practice more. Late season will be my field trial.

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »
Davo,

Based on what you shared - "seem to point the arrow towards the ground or low and when it looks and feels right I release"...you seem to be using some form of Gap Aiming such as Split Vison or Gapstinctive because you are acknowledging that you are consciously aware of the arrow but aren't sure exactly what the gap is.

If you are still unsure just ask yourself this simple question...Do you consciously see and use the arrow or any other reference point to line up your shot or adjust the gap?

If you are...you're not aiming TOTALLY instinctively and are probably using a form of Gap Aiming such as Split Vision or Gapstinctive  ;)

It's good to know what you are doing so you can try and correct any problems you might be having.

The one thing you want to do is make sure your form is rock solid so your misses aren't due to form issues when you are trying to learn to aim accurately.

Ray  ;)

Offline Davo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
I did do a little form research.  I lowered my anchor point a bit got my nose a bit closer to the string, straightend out my bow arm a bit.  When shooting in one fluid motion I was hitting a 2 inch group at short distance in my garage.  When holding and looking for a reference it widened to about 7 inches.  My most accurate shots seemed too quick.  When using my compound sometimes I have held on deer for minutes,  I don't think that is an option with this bow.  How quickly should I be shooting?  Tonight I just tried to concentrate on form.  Not frustrated at all.  In fact I feel like I am part of the shot, or one with the arrow as it were. Other times I lose focus and I know the shot is poor before it hits the target.  Tomorrow no hunting, rut is on here in WI but gusts of 50mph so since I planned to hunt I am just going to practice in my garage at 8 yards until I am right on.

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »
Davo,

"How quickly should I be shooting?"

As quickly as you need to or want to.

There is no set time frame you have to follow to get the shot off or how long you need to hold. You release when it feels right however long or short that may be.

It is completely determined by the individual shooter.

Generally speaking....the longer you hold...the more you increase the chances of doubt or some other distraction to enter your mind causing you to loose focus and concentration on the target. If I remember correctly most people can only concentrate on one thing for a few seconds before their mind begins to wonder.

You can release the moment you touch anchor or you can hold like I do for 1 to 3 secs. Some archers even hold longer as they continue to create back tension to trigger the release.

Proper follow through indicates good back tension, which is something I think all archers should strive to do whether they release upon touching anchor or hold for 5 sec. or more.

Ray   ;)

Offline Davo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 12:11:00 AM »
lots oh info as they say but all good.  I did have a bit of an epiphany.  I was consistently hitting high with two inch groups at 15 yards.  As hard as I tried to feel or aim lower I consistently hit high.  It helped when I realized I needed to lower the bow with lowering my focal point.  I gave up trying to figure out how I aim.  I am just trying to emulate the forms I have scene on this site, anchor points and get comfortable.  So far it works 60% and then I get cocky and think I am fred bear and shoot my refrigerator in the garage, fortunately it was only my smoker converted fridge and the frigde and arrow are both fine.

Offline Rick_H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
I also recommend getting Masters of the Barebow I and watch the Rod Jenkins segment for a great explanation of gap shooting. I was really surprised how low my gap is at some distances. I'm pretty much a beginner but use the gap idea for longer shots and to check if I'm in the ballpark for shorter shots.

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
I guess the most simplistic way of describing instinctive shooting, is pointing.  

I personally believe that for an instinctive shooter, it is just of matter of getting use to where to point the bow hand.  I am amazed at how often the arrow goes where it is supposed to go when I just point and trust the shot.  Yes, it requires practice, and there are the other important mechanics of the shot, but describing it need be no more complicated than that.

I can honestly say that I am not looking at the arrow, I point my hand(bow hand)and execute the shot process. It works for me in all kinds of positions.  

I have to admit,  I love to watch a good gap shooter do his or her thing.  It is truly a thing of beauty.  I have choosen not to shoot that way because it goes back to one of the major reasons I stopped shoooting a compound  after ten years.  It required me to keep track of distance, and pick the right pen.  A gap   requires me to pick the right distance, and know the right gap for a given distance.  I can get into action so much faster with my method, and I love the freedom of not being tied to distance estimation. The distance is done with my formerly hair covered computer.  I know that is not true for everyone, but I feel more comfortable with my method. I just have to keep the ranges reasonable, which is most often a feel thing.  

I guess that I should state that most of the people I know who have been into "barebow", shooting without sights, for any length of time,  have moved back and forth between any number of  methods of aiming over the years.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline Davo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 12:03:00 AM »
Yea I like what you said Scott.  I decided to stop trying to decide what I am doing.  Try and focus on form and release.  I am taking 50-100 shots a day and improving and having fun.  The videos and photo's of hunting on this site make me really focus and strive to achieve what I would call hunting accuracy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©