Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: consistent right hits using gap  (Read 956 times)

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
consistent right hits using gap
« on: November 07, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
when my arrow tip is aligned directly under the target, i get consistent right hits(im left handed). i am using split fingers, middle finger corner of mouth. 3 under, same finger, same anchor, i still get right hits. when i move down to index finger, the hits are a bit better, but still a bit to the right. what could cause this? thanks for any help!
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: consistent right hits using gap
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
For a lefty that too stiff a spine, or plucking the string either one can cause hits to the right.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline bgram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
Might be collapsing your bow arm, or trying to peek at the release of the arrow.  It could also be that you are squeezing the bow to tight with your bow hand.  I do that alot trying to hold it on target, squeezing it to tight will cause the string to also slap your arm.  Depending on how the shelf of your bow is cut, like aromakr said, your arrows may be to stiff, or if it's the shelf not being centered could cause it also.  If it's consisntent through everyshot, I'd suspect the arrow stiffness first myself.  Try a heavier point weight and see if it'll help, may have to go up several to see though.  Good luck.

Offline Doug Deese

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 05:24:00 PM »
Make sure that your release fingers are dug into your anchor point good and your eye is directly above the back of the arrow.  If your eye is not directly above the arrow you will hit to the right(assuming the arrow spine is good and you dont torque the release somehow).  If you use a thick glove or tab it will cause this problem.  When you shoot make sure you tilt your head slightly to the left to ensure good eye alignment with the front and back of the arrow.    

At the bow it is a small miss-alignment but at 20 yards you will miss  6 inches to 1 foot.  It is very easy to fix on the range or just hold an arrow in your hand (not with bow drawn) and anchor on your face and aim into a mirror at yourself.  Adjust your anchor in and out. If you have the tip/point of the arrow directly under your intended spot and you are holding a soft anchor(not dug into face) you will see that the arrow is actually aiming off to the right for left hand and off to the left for right hand shooters.

If this does not help then you will need to work with your arrow spine or your bow arm (grip) on release as stated earlier in this post.  Hopefully its a soft anchor and you can fix it fast.

Good luck Brother!!!.........>>---AKbearb8--->

Online TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »
Before undoing your form, try a lighter spined arrow (5-10 lbs.).  If you still get right hits then you may be focusing too much attention on your gap at the expense of losing tension at release (creeping)...which could cause a plucking/right hit problem.  Unlike Doug D., I've found a 'soft' release (no face-digging, just touching and pulling through) to be more productive for good alignment and release.  Everyone is different so you'll need to decide for yourself.  But I'd try the arrow change before doing major form surgery.

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »
I am a lefty, I don't shoot a gap, but when I have tuned my bow properly, and know that the arrow I have selected is the right one, I move my groups left and right by slight changes in the brace height.

I am left handed and if my groups keep going right, it might appear to be an arrow too stiff. I will raise my brace height a 32 at a time, reset the nock, and shoot again, it works for me when I am sure the spine is right. Naturally if the oposite is true, I would go the other way.

Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline MDbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
Cross-eye dominate???
Looking to buy RH Black Widow HS takedown recurve bows.  Please send Private Message.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©