3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: question for knife makers  (Read 224 times)

Offline redneckrampage

• Trad Bowhunter
question for knife makers
« on: November 12, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
quick question, ive seen several of you on here making knives from saw blades....do you still have them heat treated after cuting and shaping or are they good to put a handle on right away, and also where can i have some carbon steel blades heat treated as texas knife told me they only run stainless, any help would be much appreciated

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: question for knife makers
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »
I have used old saw blades.  The older saw mill blades were made from L6 tool steel and work well.  They need to be heat treated as they are too soft for a good knife.

I use an oxy ace. torch to heat to the non magnetic state , then quench in vegie oil heated to 140 degrees.  I draw the temper back in the kitchen oven.  300 degrees for 1/2 hour.
Chad

Chad

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 07:14:00 AM »
Some can be used without heat treating, and will do fine for one deer or so.  But will not hold an edge long after that.
But, there are heat treating services that will heat treat your blades (before putting handles on them) for about 6 bucks a blade.  Just do an internet search.

Offline Dallas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »
You can get heat treating done by Jerry Rados in Grants Park, IL; Paragon Heat treating; and I think Bearclaw Knives in La Porte, TX will all do carbon steel.  You might get a Blade mag to get some others.

Offline redneckrampage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
thanx for the info and help guys, will be much appreciated

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©