Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Kodiak Magnum setup ?s  (Read 836 times)

Offline Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
Kodiak Magnum setup ?s
« on: November 12, 2007, 07:37:00 AM »
My brother picked me up a Bear KM some time ago and I'm gonna finally get to shootin' it. It's 47# at 28 in, but I'll be pullin 30 1/2. I'm thinkin' 50-55 lbs cedars? Also where do you measure the brace? From the deepest part of the grip? the back of the shelf? What's a good starting brace height? Can't find anything doing a search, thanks in advance.

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kodiak Magnum setup ?s
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
A good brace height to start with is 8 inches, most of the Bears like a brace from 8-8.5 inches. Some where in there you'll find the sweet spot. I actually liked to shoot my K Mag braced a little lower. I measured brace from the deepest part of the grip.

Figure 3# per inch over 28 so at your 30.5" draw you'll be pulling between 53-55#. How heavy of a broad head or field point are you going to be shooting? I shoot Sitka Spruce with 190gr. Ribtek broad heads & I use a 70-75# spined shaft. My Bear Super Grizzly is 50# @ 28", & I pull to 30". That gives me a draw weight of about 56# @ 30".

I'd say you should probably start in the 60-65# spine area. I'm afraid your arrows would be too light  depending on your head choice, at 50-55#. If you're planning on using heavy heads then go up some more in spine.
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
Shane,
3# per inch? I thought it was closer to 1.5# per inch. I will start out with 125 gr heads. When you say "too light", do you mean spine or total arrow weight? I was thinking of a finished arrow weight of 550grs. Will cedars get me there with a 125gr head? Thanks again.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »
My K-Mag (LH 55#@28") shoots sweet at a brace height of 8.5" (measured from the grip) and a nock point of +3/8" (I shoot 3 Under).  I draw 28.5"-29", with a 525 grain arrow I'm getting 180 FPS.

One thing about my K-Mag, it does stack.  I can tell the second I pass 28" on the draw, as the stack begins immediately.  At 30.5" draw, I bet you will experience a lot of stack...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©