Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: bow grip help  (Read 888 times)

Offline stickandastring

• Trad Bowhunter
bow grip help
« on: November 13, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
I have just gone traditional. I bought a new bow. A nice bow. However for as beautiful as it is, wood does not provide great grip when hunting with gloves on.  

The bow is a Fedora deflex so it more of a recurve type riser, id really rather not glue something on it, i found the sure grip at 3rivers but I dont think it'll fit.

Any ideas guys?
Face your fears. Live your dreams.

Offline Todd Hathaway

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow grip help
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »
If you really want something you can buy those wraps for tennis rackets or baseball bats.

However, my theory is that you should be able to shoot the bow even if it has vaseline on the handle.

By gripping, and preventing it from sliding to where it wants to go, you impart a counter force on it. This will cause the bow to torque when the string is released due to this counter-force suddenly relaxing.

It's the elasticity of your skin that causes this torque/counter torque. Your skin moves and stretches like a rubber band when there is a high amount of friction between it and something you are trying to keep from moving in your hand.

Offline stickandastring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
Thanks Todd,

Im still trying to get used to the shooting stance and style shown to me by Fedora. Much different from the many hours I spent with my compound. still strikes me strange how i hit what im aiming at but can explain how i did it. Before it was just, well, I lined up the pin with the peep site, etc...

I think what I really wanted was a way to keep my hands warm 2nd season in Pa (dec 26-Jan) and fleece gloves dont grip like skin does on wood.

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
Chris, I had the same problem too, until i switched back to my compound grip even for the longbows i shoot.
my grip consists of only wrapping my index finger around the bow. the other three fingers are curled closed out of the way. I get no handshock and a quieter bow, but most of all, i get no torque.
just my way of doing stuff, remember try different ways and keep what works, throw the other stuff out the window.
sammy

Offline stickandastring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »
Really working on my form and have noticed that im not torqueing. my fingers are on the front end of the bow with my bottom two curled back.

Someday ill be hunting out your way Smallwood. Working on finding something for 08. Oh, how I would leave the rolling hills of Pa behind for real mountains.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©