Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: New Kid with a question  (Read 719 times)

Offline iowa mike

• Trad Bowhunter
New Kid with a question
« on: November 16, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »
After 35 years of shooting I'm wanting to get back to my beginning,Traditional archery.
Does anyone have a comparison or performance evaluation on todays recurves. I recently have had shoulder surgery and would like to know the stacking characteritics and speeds of some bows as I may have to drop some draw weight.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
michael viehdorfer

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Kid with a question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »
what is your draw lenght.  my bob lee stacks 3lbs per inch over 28 i shoot a 61 at 28 but draw 30.  my target speed is 180fps and close to 10 grains per lb, some of my limbs shoot a heavyer shaft at the same speed another shoots a lighter shaft.  i had some 60" 55# limbs that shoot a 560 arow at 195.  they have a better ratio than my 58" 67#. they shoot 670 at 180.
i guess i should shoot the lighter ones.

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Kid with a question
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
Iowa mike,
     I shot some of those old bows too, been doing this for over forty years.  The new bows are by far more superior in workmanship, and efficiency.  These bows can be of lighter weight and exceed the efficiency of those older bows.

With the arrow materials available, DynaFlight bowstrings, you can shoot heavy arrows at speeds only dreamed of in the "Good Old Days".  

Depending on your States game department laws, you might want to get back into it with a 40pound draw weight.  Here in Texas, that is the min. to hunt big game of 40 pounds.  My girlfriend is knocking the fire out of everything she shoots with a 40 - 44 pound longbows.  

The last pig she shot, nearly had a complete pass-through, going through a ham in to the body cavity.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©