Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Arrow spine forgiveness  (Read 791 times)

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow spine forgiveness
« on: December 19, 2007, 11:53:00 AM »
I'm currently shooting a 45lb @ 28" take-down recurve and my arrow setup shoots great out of this bow. Assuming my arrows are perfectly tuned to the 45lb limbs, will switching to 50lb limbs on the same bow require me to adjust arrow spine?

I would definately like to be able to shoot the same arrows with both sets of limbs. Thanks for your thoughts!

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow spine forgiveness
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
J:
Thats a question thats impossible to answer. It will depend on where the arrows your now shooting fall within your usuable spine range. If they are at the bottom of that range (meaning just barely the right spine) probably not, but if they fall at the upper end then yes they should. The way your bow is built will figure into those calculations also. The deeper your shelf is cut the wider your usuable spine range will be. In other words if your bow's shelf is 1/8"less than center your range will be narrower than if its cut 3/16" past center.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
It really depends on how you judge your arrow flight.  If you get a fletched arrow that is stiff enough and shoots okay with your 50 lb limbs, it will probably shoot okay with your 45 lb limbs.  OTOH, if you have bare shaft tuned an arrow that shoots perfectly from your 45 lb limbs, you should definitely see some nock right when you shoot the same bare shaft from your 50 lb limbs (assuming you come to full draw on the 50 lb limbs and they haven't repealed the laws of physics :-).  If you're into bare shaft tuning, one way to use the same arrow with both bows would be to experiment with point weights and use a lighter point for the 50 lb limbs than for the 45 lb limbs.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies. My bow is cut 5/16" past center (aluminum riser quinn stallion). I draw 30" on the 45lb @ 28" bow and the arrows I use are Carbon Express 4560's cut to 31.75". I also use a Bear Weatherest. When I got the bow, I shot bare shafts and they seemed to impact with my field points but my groups weren't stellar then either. My broadheads definately impact with my field points right now.

I'm hoping that my arrows are just a bit stiff right now, but I suppose I just have to try it and find out. Since my arrows are cut so long, I could trim some material off the end of some to increase the spine. Otherwise, maybe I can use a spacer behind my rest to move the strike plate out if my arrows are too weak.

Aromakr,

As a very general rule what is largest pound range that you should be able to use for a given carbon arrows (meaning the arrows are barely on the stiff side for the lower poundage bow and barely on the weak side for the higher poundage bow)?

In other words is it likely that a single arrow could be shot well with 45lb limbs and 55lb limbs or would a 5lb range be max?

Thanks for your input.

Offline Tom A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
5# is quite a bit. You might make them work by shooting the 50# with a low brace and putting lighter tips on the arrows and using a slower string with bigger silencers.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©