Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Arrow falling off shelf  (Read 1042 times)

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow falling off shelf
« on: December 26, 2007, 02:12:00 AM »
I think I know why this is happening.  On nearly every shot I take, even with canting the bow so that the arrow is resting against the side more so than the shelf, I find the arrow being pulled off the shelf.  After drawing in front of the mirror I noticed that I am "breaking" my wrist, meaning that my wrist joint is coming in towards my face and the back of my hand and arm form about a 45 degree angle.  Is this causing me to put torque on the string or arrow and in turn causing me to pull the arrow off the shelf?  If so, how can I stop the wrist break or is it even possible?  Thanks for the help.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline John 4

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow falling off shelf
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 03:32:00 AM »
Try dropping keeping the elbow of your drawing arm lower than you do now.
It changes the angle of your hand making it almost impossable to not have a straight hand,an also aligns the shoulders better.
That's just my own findings and somebody else may have a better idea,,,but it does work for me.
Cheers.

Offline bosteldr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
Shoot three fingers under.  You will not pinch the arrow.  After shooting several times (5 to 10) go back to split finger.  Works for me and when I teach the grand kids not to pinch the arrow.

Dave B

Offline waterone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
Do you shoot with a deep hook?

From what I've seen, and experienced, shooting with the fingertips tends to make you "roll" the string, torquing the arrow off the shelf.

Shoot with a deep hook. Make sure that your shot is deliberate, and that you get the string on at least the first joint of the fingers. One of the things that happens with a deep hook, is that the hand relaxes, and believe it or not, the wrist lays out straight(er).

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »
waterone has it. Also make sure that your fingertips are pointing as far back toward you as possible when you hook the string. If your fingers are perpendicular to the string and you get tired you have a tendency to curl the fingers during draw and pull the arrow off the shelf. I had a major problem doing this with a tab and switched back to a glove so I could curl my fingers better toward the rear when hooking the string. I also was breaking my wrist like you are too. I now make sure I have my wrist straight or past straight and curl my fingers good when hooking the string. Use good back tension, pushing the draw elbow behind you and the string will push your fingers out of the way. Do not think about letting the string go, concentrate on back tension and pulling that elbow behind you. It is known as a pull thru release. Just my humble opinion and what I have been taught. I never knew a bow was this hard to shoot, but a perfectly executed shot is pretty hard to pull off each and every time for me !!!

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline eggomaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 02:44:00 AM »
yup deep hook, the string actually rotates in the nock towards the bow, holding the arrow on. (a can't pinch tab might help too?) i had the same problem when I started, but when I learned to reach around and 'set' the string, the problem went away. Before even beginning the shooting process, I am holding the bow with about a 1/4 inch to 1 draw, what I call 'set'. From nocking the arrow to release, it never has a chance to flare out, because it is pressure sealed.
dance like Elvis is watching you

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »
Thanks guys, getting on the string deeper has eliminated the falling off the shelf.  'preciate all the help fella's.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
Try keeping your hand flat and your wrist straight.
TGMM "Brotherhood of the Bow"   "Family of the Bow"

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 01:56:00 AM »
I do not know whether or not this post helped you or not. I do know that I used the advice today in the back yard and yeyh I think I'm gettin it. Thanks for the post.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©