Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: shooting form video  (Read 1291 times)

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
shooting form video
« on: December 27, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »
looking to improve accuracy who isn't right any help is appreciated th anks Ralph
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shooting form video
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
I think it looks pretty darn good. Love the follow through!

The only thing I might suggest is that you try a higher wrist position with your bow hand and opening up your grip a little bit more on the bow to help eliminate potential torque created by your grip. It's just something to try. It wasn't anything that jumped out at me and said you were doing it all wrong.

Ray  ;)

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
thanks!wouldn't the grip dictate the wrist position i have learned to shoot with a torn rotator cuff i could'nt hold a glass of milk in june been a hard road back!i have had to work on getting elbow down feels more natural up higher!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
Yes...the grip can dictate the wrist position but the archer is ultimately the one who will control how he chooses to grip the bow. Just about any bow can be shot with a high wrist no matter how the grip is designed...but some grips make it hard if not impossible to shoot with a low wrist grip.

Your torn rotator cuff totally explains the low elbow.

What do you feel is holding your accuracy back...your form, your aiming ability, your aiming techinique or combination of them all?

Give us an example of your typical accuracy level.

Ray  ;)

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
makes sense that you can shoot almost any bow with high wrist.the release is what is holding me back i believe.I have yet to find a glove that i like.

gloves to date 3 rivers duraglove,big shot,full shot.sams tabs all the regular finger tabs don't like a tab at all.i have experienced some nerve damage in my drawing hand from using too thin a glove.

accuracy 6 to 8 " at 25 yds 15" at 35 yds really dosn't matter what bow i shoot, i shoot them all decsent i can usually put a arrow on target to about 25 yds arrows usually spread around.

aiming style is look and shoot don't gap dont look at arrow tip the only time i would see the arrow is when i shoot at long ranges.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 06:59:00 PM »
I use to shoot gloves with plastic inserts in them to help protect my fingers from the amount of shooting I was doing and the high draw weight of the bows I shot.

When I first tried the Big Shot glove...I didn't like it...because I could feel the string more than I was use to but after taking enough time to get used to it...I won't shooting anything else. They give me the smoothest release I have ever experienced with a glove and they last quite a long time.

I hope you're able to find that glove you've been looking for...it definitely can make a difference.

Would you consider yourself primarily a bowhunter, target archer or a little of both?

Ray  ;)

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 07:36:00 AM »
i am a hunter mainly deer and hogs but really enjoy small game hunting as well.we shoot some 3 d tourneys and make it a family event.I had a big shot glove and did not give it enough time
i may try it again!Thanks for your interest.

I guess form was close to being ok lol usually on these video's you get more responses do you hunt,i would love to come to Co. and hunt some of thoses big Elk out there!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
Loooooove to hunt and shoot my bow!

Based on you primarily being a hunter...Instinctive Aiming is a great aiming techinique to use...especially if you have great hand and eye coordination.

Ray  ;)

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »
i am 10 months new to traditional shooting it aint gonna come over night the reason for posting this was i felt like i was not improving i want to take my shooting to the next level if possible.

part of my problem is self inflicted i have owned a lot of bows in a short amount of time and have not gotten familier with any one bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
Ralph, sounds like my first year of trad equip shooting. Don't get discouraged! It'll come. I must have owned 6 different high end bows my first year,wondering if I changed bows, would it come any easier.NOPE! Just made things harder.  The best thing I can tell you is don't mold your shooting around another persons form. You have to be comfortable with what your doing before accuracy will come.If you are up there thinking about your form instead of concentrating on your "Spot", you will have troubles with accuracy. The form has to become a constant before you will show a lot of improvement.

I suggest if you want to concentrate on form, get up close to the target(where you can't miss) and close your eyes and really feel it. Comfortable is consistent and consistent is accurate! I would also recommend you read Dr. Jay Kidwells book "Instinctive Archery Insights". He has a lot of good stuff in there. It will really accellerate your learning to shoot instinctively.  

I was fortunate enough to get into the Black Widow Instinctive Shooting Clinic and learned alot from Mr. Asbell. Although I had to customize the form he taught in order for it to work for me. The biggest thing I learned was how to diagnose my own shooting problems. Your shooting form should be your own but there are certain constants that need to be done in archery for it all to work right. From what I can tell from your videos you seem to be doing just fine and look alot better than I did at 10 mths. Keep up the good work!

P.S. You might wanna try watching the Masters of the Barebow Video. Lots of good stuff on there also.  Goodluck, DAVE
"If you want just one thing too much in life....Your life will likely be a disappointment" Augustus McCrae

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
thanks alot Dave the more i shoot the less i am thinking about form it is a skill plain and simple some have more natural ability than others
i believe i am somewhere in the middle but i have never had more fun shooting than i am now!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
I agree with you 100%! I have probably shot 5X more arrows in the past 3 yrs.(shooting trad) than I have in the last 25 with a wheel bow. It is awesome and I just can't get enough! I thank the Lord everyday that he has brought something into my life that I enjoy this much. The really nice thing about it is that the whole family can enjoy it. Let me know how you progress. Later, DAVE
"If you want just one thing too much in life....Your life will likely be a disappointment" Augustus McCrae

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
yes He is to be thanked and we are making it a family activity my 11 year old will be outshooting me soon lol God Bless Ralph
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
My 10 yr. old daughter is bad to the bone with her Longbow. It amazes me how hard that we as adults can make shooting a stick and string. She just looks at a spot and shoots it. I was trying to show her how to do this and how to do that and I got her all messed up. She said,"Daddy, why can't I do it like this?" and she shot and drilled a little 1" dot she was aiming at. I told her to do it again and I'd shut up. Well long story short she put 2 more right in there with it. She said that what I had her doing didn't feel comfortable.  I guess we can learn more from them than they can from us.  DAVE

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
yes kids are naturals my son looks and shoots and hits lol.Maybe i'll watch him and try to learn something.I tried to get him to lower his drawing arm he missed badly and then gave me that look i have not coached him on his form since Ralph
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
There are certain things that I will correct(like shooting with good back tension or not dropping the bow arm), but mostly I just let her find her own way. They figure things out way quicker than we do. Goodluck, RALPH.....Stay in touch! Later, DAVE

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
i believe what hurts me the most is a torn rotator cuff injury that prevents me from keeping my bow arm strait i am comtemplating surgery to correct this i find that i like shooting the staiter handle longbows it lets me keep my bow arm lower Ralph
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
Ralph, You were talking about finding a good glove. The Big shot is a good glove like Blackhawk said. My personal favorite is the Black Widow Super PDQ Glove. I feel I get a more precise anchor from this glove. The end of the stalls on the big shot are too wide and my anchors seems to move.

I'm sorry about your shoulder. I hope it starts to heal. I'll be praying for you!  DAVE

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©