Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shooting Help/Arrow Tip Fallout  (Read 662 times)

Offline Max20702

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting Help/Arrow Tip Fallout
« on: December 28, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
I live in northeastern Illinois and I was wondering if anyone knows who I might be able to contact about getting first hand shooting instruction.  I am looking for basic longbow shooting instruction.  Also, I constantly have arrow tip issues.  I gave up the hot melt glue a while ago for gluing points onto my wooden arrows.  I've been using Gorilla Glue and I still lose tips.  Any suggestions?

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting Help/Arrow Tip Fallout
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
Max,
I am sure someone from NE Illinois will be along shortly to let you know where a monthly shoot is around you. That would be a good place to start getting help.

I suspect that your arrow tip problem is caused by not cleaning the female taper out of your field tips with a Q tip and acetone or alcohol ? They are very nasty and oily from the manf process and it will kill your glue bond. Swab them out first and I use regular ole super glue and never have had a problem. Hope this helps.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
I just put the point's opening into a flame and burn out the oil. Then heat the glue put it on the taper of the arrow, and apply the point (of course I use pliers to hold the point at all times), and if necessary reheat the tip to help seat the point. Be careful not to burn the arrow.
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline p1choco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
I've used Gorilla glue and had some good results but I like the bond from super glue better.  Something like Goat tuff.  You don't need water to help foam and activate the glue.
Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.

- Calvin Coolidge

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©