Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shooting from elevated surfaces  (Read 768 times)

Offline mcmidc

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting from elevated surfaces
« on: December 31, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
Do you guys find it difficult to or have to change your instinctive hold at all when shooting from elevated surfaces?

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting from elevated surfaces
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
Bend from the waist and your form will remain the same.  I've been told that shooting uphill or downhill requires a low hold.  This is true with a rifle but I can't prove it to myself with a bow.  Maybe I've never tried from enough elevation or it's that the range is so short.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 12:28:00 AM »
I agree with john..and I havent noticed a low hold making any difference. I figure if I do anything different than I do when standing Ive changed my form and then WHOOOOPS..a slinger appears and who knows where its going to go
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
John is right on.The short distance does not apply to holding low here. Bend at the waist,instead of lowering your bow arm which changes your form.

Practice from an elevated spot,don't wait until season to start,assuming your are using a tree stand. Good luck.   :campfire:

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 06:28:00 PM »
Dirty Bill is giving great advise , pratice all during the year from a elevated stand . To make it simple I use a 10 foot folding ladder to pratice out of . Also set your stand under 15 foot in the woods . Try to find trees with good cover on the side and background . I usually set up around 12 foot in good cover .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©