3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tips for ground blind hunters  (Read 992 times)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Tips for ground blind hunters
« on: November 13, 2007, 08:20:00 AM »
Due to a recent thread by Buckeyehunter I am getting PM's and emails asking questions about hunting from ground blinds so I figured I'd just post up what I've been telling people here.If any of you other blind hunters have anything to add, please do so. If anyone else has a question, please feel free to add it to this thread.

First you must think of a whitetails defenses. In order of importance they would be #1 nose #2 sight #3 hearing. To over come these defenses you need to do certain things.

To overcome their incredible nose there is only one thing you can do and that's set up with the wind in your favor. I made this rookie mistake just last night and it cost me a doe at 10 steps. I was hunting new property and found a nice looking ambush spot. There was this PERFECT brushpile but it was on the wrong side of the trail, wind wise. All I had to do was crawl in it and sit. There was no way to be spotted in there, but it would be real easy to shoot out of. I decided to gamble. About 15 minutes before dark a doe came slowly walking up the trail feeding here and there. I got my bow up, but before she got to me, the wind betrayed me, and she smelled me right before she got into my shooting lane. She tried spotting me but couldn't. Whitetails trust their nose above everything else and she eventually blew out of there (figuratively and literally) taking several others that were following her (maybe a buck?) with her. As a matter of fact that was the second time this year I've been busted at under 10 yeards by the wind. You simply cannot fool their noses.Not with cover scents, not with scent loc clothing. There is no miracle cure for this one. They only need a couple parts per million of molecules in the air to smell you. Your breath exhaling will easily do that. You simply MUST have the wind in your favor. Period.

#2 the second thing that will get you busted is being spotted and by that I mean your form or outline. You need to break it up. Having good background is paramount otherwise you will be silhouetted. If they just catch you moving they will stare intently maybe do the bob, weave, thing but they are used to seeing things move, squirrels, birds etc. They need to know it's danger before busting out of there otherwise they would be in a constant state of fleeing. Humans form or outline is unique and instantly signals danger. That's why ghillie suits are so effective. They break up the human form better than anything else. Break up your outline and they may dismiss you or at least give you time to slowly draw and shoot. I've read their vision is pretty good focus wise, but they have poor depth perception, and see in shades of grey. Don't know it that's true but worth exploiting. It's imortant to cover the parts that alert deer the most, your face and your hands. Wear a headnet and gloves or paint them up if you don't like wearing a headnet. Commercial camoflage isn't necessary to break up your image (as a fact most won't) but a pattern of some sort is a good idea, whether that is camo you trust or plaid.

#3 is there ears and although they have great hearing, again they are used to some noises like leaves rustling and sticks breaking, squirrels digging for nuts, jumping limb to limb, chasing each other and the deer needs verification from one of their other two senses before percieveing danger.If you are walking in the woods and spot a deer it has generally heard you (or something) and is standing there ears out, eyes looking in the direction it heard the noise. If it gets verification thru either sight or smell that you're a human it will then flee. If it can't it may dismiss you and continue feeding or walking as it had originally intended.

To summarise: Play the wind, have stuff in front of you to break up your outline and behind you to keep from being skylined, and if you make any noise, stop, stay quiet and wait them out.

Hope this helps.
      :thumbsup:            :archer:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tips for ground blind hunters
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 08:32:00 AM »
Oh and one more thing..and this is important at the moment of truth. If you get a deer within 10  or 15 yards and it is in your shooting lane. IF you manage to get your bow back and the deer isn't looking at you REMEMBER THIS..it's time to  calm down, TAKE YOUR TIME and make a good shot. You don't need to rush the shot. You are well within the deers comfort zone. If it had ANY idea that you were around, it would be out of there in a flash. Since you are at full draw and it's not looking at you  it obviously has no idea you are there. Pick a spot, hold your form, and make a good release. You've done an excellent job of getting the deer in this position, no since blowing it by rushing now and making a bad shot.

After the arrow blows thru the deers ribcage and it busts out of there, you have plenty of time to breath funny, shake, smile like crazy,  pump the air with your fist, wet your pants or whatever. Note direction of the deers exit and listen carefully for the sound of it turning or crashing.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline bearhair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
I learned the hard way a few too many times before I figured out that it is best to brush in your front cover nice and thick and then get into the blind and use hand pruners to cut out a small shooting window.  Amazing how small of a shooting window you actually need.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
Thanks for the info dump Ferret!  Good stuff!
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »
When you first set up, either with brush or tree behind you, clear the leaves and twigs away from where your feet will be. It takes only a moment and you have already made a bunch of noise walking to the spot. This makes slight changes of position to look around, adjust for comfort or set up for the shot less noisy.

Most camo is too dark and looks like solid dark shape from a distance. ASAT, light/dark plaid, gillie work much better.

Mickey is dead on about scent and the wind. No amount of scentlock, cover scent, attracting scent, ect. will fool a deer. They sometimes will come from down wind to figure out where or what you are, but they will be fully aware that you are there.

Deer are particularly good at picking up movement of small light colored objects (like you hand without dark gloves). They look for each other and signal each other with little flicks of the tail and showing white throat patches (like your face without a mask).

I had two bucks at less than 20 yards in WI last week while ground sitting. It was an "earnabuck" area and I had not. I was sitting on a log with my back against a large tree and the gillie on. The wind was right and the larger buck never knew I was there. A few minutes later the smaller one started to circle down wind and I tried to scare him off before he got a nose full and made a sceen. He crossed the path I was on at 10 yards still cross wind. I snort wheezed and he stopped but did not run. I lunged off my log a half step and he spooked about 5 feet. Then continued to circle and try my scent. He finally left without figuing out what was going on. He did the slow tail flag and prance away, no big fuss.

I almost always hear deer coming. I try to relax and sit very still while waiting.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
Great stuff guys! I'm a ground hunting newbie but couldn't agree more with the advice given so far. I'll share a story later about my recent ground hunting experience and the effectiveness of a ghillie suit.   :D  

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
Does are the enemy!  They will pick you off first thing while the bucks just keep moseying on never knowing you are there.  I've ground hunted for years and taken multiple deer this way but I have the most trouble with the ladies.  Yesterday morning was a good example:  The momma and her two young of the year step into the locust grove and peg me instantly.  No way to get the bow back in the ten minutes they harass me.  Yes, I had to try but the string wasn't even to my chin when one of the little buggers caught me and blew them out of there pronto.  Later at seperate times two bucks walk through and neither knew I was there.  I blew the shot I had.  Tree jumped in the way.
Later another does strolls into the area and before long she locks in on me with the death stare pinning me to the spot I'm in.  
I'm wearing a 3D suit modified with birlap and yarn for a better gullie effect with a brushy cedar tree behind and brush around me, yet, still they hone in like I was nekid.  It's a hard way to make meat.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
No shiny limbs!! draw slow and deliberately,Bow quivers full of arrows are more visible/noticable than a thin bow is.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
Well said Mickey

On some occasions, I know when I will be most likely to see deer from my current ground blind, just by the wind. My location changes with the wind. When you're made, you're made. If they don't blow right out of there, you still have a chance.

Cover/attractant scents are best saved for the rut if you use them at all IMO. When they smell a new scent, they go to DEFCON4 right away. You can get lucky on a lovesick buck sometimes, but it's not that common. I admit, I do usually keep a fresh earth disc pinned to my clothing though. If anything, it may confuse them long enough for a shot opportunity.

Ditto on clearing away the leaves and such under your feet. Always move slowly when you do move. Watch their ears and eyes but avoid eye contact. (this is where the head net helps) Ditto on comments about camo. I'm wearing my old all purpose grey camo pants, (because they're not worn out yet) and I wear a light brown/black plaid shirt or jacket. I'm convinced by 2 close encounters that it's plenty effective if you hold still. My lower half was blocked by brush anyway. Try to have something behind you to break your outline.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
Great info!!!
Mel Riley

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
I'm still new at this and learning, but I've had two shots from the ground so far.  One miss and one kill with a compound before going trad.  No luck so far with trad gear, but the two shots I had both had the same thing in common.

Prevailing winds here are from the south or south west.  You can almost always bank on it.  I set up in the east side of the trail I'm working in the morning.  Then, not only am I down wind of the deer I'm watching for, but they also have to look into the sun to see me.  With the doe I killed this way, I could actually see my shadow pointing directly at the doe as she was coming in, but I doubt that she could make out anything threatening.

Marvin

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 12:30:00 PM »
Ferret,

Sorry about the all the pm's you received.  Just wanted to thank you and encourage others to consider ground hunting.

One other note; is  to do some really good scouting.  If you sit in the wrong spot, it doesn't matter if you are in a tree or on the ground, you will not see deer.

-Charlie

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »
Shaun is right, alot of camo is too dark. ASAT and Natural Gear seem to be pretty good about "blurring" out against most backgrounds. The old style gray Trebark is another good choice if you can find it.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
Love the info shared so far. Could not agree more with what has been said. With that said I would like to add that I am a big believer in keeping my body and my hunting clothes as scent free as possible. I wash my clothing in no scent soap. Keep it in plastic bags after washing. I use scent free deoderant and scent free body wash while in camp. I do not wear my hunting clothing unless I'm hunting. My guille or leafy suit is carried in my backpack while going into and out of my hunting area. I use a no scent spray cover when I leave my truck and after I reach my stand location. In the last two seasons I have had one deer smell me and blow in close proximity. Believe it or not, I had taken one extra step the evening this happened. I attached a earth scent wafer to my hat just before getting into my ladder stand. Why I did it, I do not know. But you can bet it will not happen again. Good luck.  Keepum sharp and getum close.  :thumbsup:

Offline Richard in OK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 05:26:00 PM »
Good, helpful information here. Keep it coming. Several weeks ago I was set up on the ground next to a pond, in a small thicket. A buck came down the hill to my right, where I had no shot, and then turned uphill (also to my right rear). He was big. His rear end looked like a quarter horse but with short legs, probably eight points. Obviously a mature buck. I moved (stupid) - but not very much, to try to get an angle for a shot, I guess he heard me. He couldn't see me from where he was. He promptly went back up the hill the way he came. No blowing or panic, just a white flag and a fast walk. He might have gotten my scent, since the winds had been dodgy all day, but I doubt it. I think he heard the longbow clink on a small branch. He would have been my first trad deer. I'll try again this weekend. Thanks for all the good advice.
Richard

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »
Outstanding post sir.  This one gets its own bookmark.

Regarding clearing the junk out from under your feet, I do have one alternative suggestion.  If you are inclined to grunt, blat or (especially) rattle, IMO that's the time to clear stuff from under your spot.  Rather than being just one more potential problem from which you need to let the place settle down, why not use that racket to help attract the deer?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think kicking leaves, sticks and gunk out from under you adds to the effect of a rattling symphony.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »
When you see movement or hear noise, get ready.  You can't sit around waiting to see what's coming and expect to get your bow up. If you wait and watch until you're positive it's a deer you're going to miss opportunities and get busted.  

Getting ready also means anticipating where your shot opportunity will be. Don't wait for the deer to show you your shot.  Look ahead to where the deer is going and pick your shots before the deer arrives.  

To be successful on the ground, you have to be decisive.  Shot opportunities and good shot angles on the ground disappear much faster than they do from a tree.

The best thing to do is get out and do it.  I hunt from both tree and ground depending on the location.  I've probably shot more deer from trees but the numbers are close.  The difference is in the excitement.  You're never gonna hit the horns and have a 180 class buck charge in and nearly run you over or doze off and wake to a doe breathing in your face at 2 yds if you stay up a tree. Ground hunting is great fun and makes for the best memories.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Robert Warnock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 06:02:00 PM »
Great info, guys thanks for sharing.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
Molson:     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
I read the first 3 post then when out to my ground blind, I was there from 9:30 am till 12:30pm then 2pm till dark.. around 4:30 or so I saw 2 fawns working their way to me, I was waiting for mommy to show up. about 30 minuets or so, I turned to my left & there she was 5 yards from me. She stopped to eat some acorns and gave me a nice broadside shot. I drew slowly and came to anchor.... I loosed the arrow and hit her good, As she was running off I saw the broad head and part of the arrow. I waited for about 30 to 45 minutes, I came home grabbed another light & help and tracked it for 2.5 hrs and the deer went on to land that the owner doesn't like hunters and won't let me track it/any deer on his land... I am mad, because I lost a deer.... even tho the shot looked good & there was lots of blood... I think it's also because the back 10inches of the arrow was left in her ( because I didn't find it just the front half )...It was a rush hunting from the ground blind.... Had a total of 20 DOEs walking around me over 5 hours of sitting time...

Thanks for the info Mickey & others.... Didn't get the deer but had a great time in the woods.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©