Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: 18 yards practice vid( my form update)  (Read 7199 times)

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 18 yards practice vid( my form update)
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
I am the same size as you, I draw 261/4'' with a standard longbow and 263/4 with a recurve, straighter bow arm.  My son is 6'2'' draws 271/2'' with a long bow and 28'' with a recurve, I have never seen anyone that could out shoot him in the field.  A life time of training pays its dividends.

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
really?
because when I shot recurves,
28" were to short because when I drew them, the point would slide into the rest

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
then again I did rescently realize that I over draw

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
I use to shoot a BW target bow and a Black-widow hunting bow I used sights on both.  I saw a picture of what i looked like at full draw, not good.  It explained why I could burn up targets and was so worthless at game.  Very few animals allowed me to get into that stance.  I went from that to a Bear takedown and had a 281/2'' draw or so I thought.  i pulled very long and then as I aimed it reduced to 27''.  The reason it dropped was I needed that head position to know where I was aiming.  you may have longer arms than me, check your reach with both arms in front on the ruler.  In most cases that gets you close to the middle finger at the corner of your mouth. Now if you anchor past that of course you will come up with a bigger number.  the more exact you are with your own stats keeping with an eyes in the game type of form the the more versatile you will be when hunting.  Draw length doesn't kill, accuracy does.  Hill had an arm span of 76'', but yet in the videos you will see that he released less than 28'' alot of the time, as can be seen on the DVDs in slow motion.  you have a lot of natural talent don't get frustrated with all of this.  I always say if it works for Hill and everyone he taught, I should not be that different and I am not.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
Shoulder width has a lot to do with draw length as well...I know some shorter guys with broad shoulders that have draw lengths longer than guys 4-6 inches taller.  Its not all revolved around height.

You draw what you draw regardless...proper alignment  and back tension gets you there.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2008, 01:52:00 AM »
Very true, different people have different facial structures.  What one see at the corner of the mouth anchor can be completely different than another.  I have shorter arms than some folks my height, like  I said Deadpool could have longer arms, the shoulder position can make up an inch or two as well.  It all adds up to, when you got your form grooved in, then you know and not before that what your actual draw length is.  It is quite common however, for someone to have a much longer draw when they are merely stretching a bow back than when they are shooting.  I thinkit is best to work on those fundamentals and let the draw be what it is.  but the kid can shoot, no doubt about that.

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
allright guys, i think I TINK, i made have nailed it, idk, I did that finger to the mouth thing, the vid is uploading as i speak

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
Laddy brings up some good points there. If I drew to my ear my draw length would also be 28 ".Thast why I asked what his arm length and height was. I didnt feel asking what he thought his draw length was would be true to proper form. I am 5ft 10' and draw 25" .The video will help him 100 %

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
allright guys here it is, I hope im gettin better,

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2008, 05:58:00 PM »
idk if this is the right form, please let me know what to adjust

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
When you practice drawing, you are at least 1 1/2 inches longer than when you are actually shooting.  In your practice draws you are overdrawing and putting the string behind your nostrils.  When you shoot, your hand is slightly away it seems and you are not completely aligned.  The arrow should line up with your drawing hand and lower arm.  Do not worry about your draw length, work on your body alignment.  I am 5'7" and draw 29" easy.  These posts do help tremendously if you use them to your advantage and be patient.  Everyone has a slightly different style, so will you.  Keep up the good work and don't get frustrated.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
I think it's looking good. Two points kind of three points.  One the right hand follow through flips off your face a bit. My son when he was 14, he  would flip his hand out about a foot and a half. The longbow he was using did not react to it at all.  When he tried a compound he finally believed me that he was doing it, I have never seen a compound shoot a boomerang like that. Two.  Your form is a bit stiff and straight up and down.  If you relax into the shot, try not locking your bow arm up and cant the bow.  This will allow you to take those downward shots out of a tree stand a little more fluidly.  Some shoot  with the bow vertical with great results, point two is only a suggestion.  Good work, this is fun!!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »
OK...your drawing hand is WAY off your face at 'anchor'...I say 'anchor' in quotes because your really don't have a solid anchor. You are floating out to the side of your face, and its going to be hard to repeat it with no contact reference points, and you wont have a solid 'rear sight'.

Email me your address, I'm going to send ya something.....

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
hey terry my email is [email protected]

Offline RUSS GRIMES

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
Fin job you did trad.gang good..zipperman
just hunt

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2008, 08:32:00 AM »
OK...DVD is gone, and will be there tomorrow.

Take this into consideration as you watch the shooting alignment segment.....

You are not 'into your shot' yet, you are trying to learn at the moment, and not really sure what you should do or how you should do it.....and that's OK....it will come to you, and when it does, you'll know it.

I want you to get more personal with your shot, don't be afraid to contact your face or even distort it on the draw.  Also take note of the double anchor.

Its all connected like a chain, you keep putting the links together, and if you commit, your chain will become case hardened.

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
damn thats poetic!
lol
in all seriusness though thank you so much terry for bein so patient!

and all you guys as well,
im not postim another vid until i know for sure that i got my anchor, form and smooth release down completely

Offline Tom A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
The picture looks pretty good. Smash that hand into your face when you shoot. Bone to bone contact.  The straight up rigid form is debateable. I can tell you that most ( but not all) top competitive shooters that I have shot with use it so if its working for you. Use it. I have never had any problems with hunting that way either.

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
I think im gettin there!!

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
heres one more!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©