Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: noy holding at full draw?  (Read 1215 times)

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
noy holding at full draw?
« on: January 15, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
when instinctive shooting, as soon as i hit my anchor, i release.  there is NO pause at all, but my anchor is always hit.  do i have to hold?  for me it seems to destroy the shot sequesce and breaks my concentration.  is this ok?
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: noy holding at full draw?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
If it works for you. Do what feels right.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »
It's okay as long as you have control.  Best way to find out is come to full draw and hold before releasing every few shots.  If you maintain control all is well. If the arrow leaves before you're ready, you're probably in BIG trouble.

Jim

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jim Casto Jr:
It's okay as long as you have control.  Best way to find out is come to full draw and hold before releasing every few shots.  If you maintain control all is well. If the arrow leaves before you're ready, you're probably in BIG trouble.

Jim
yea i have had enough trouble with tp and the arrow leaving before im ready.  alot of practice later i feel totally in control but i just dont hold.  thanks for the info.
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
I had this problem before.  I would draw and hit a spot at the corner of my mouth even if I had to stick my lips out!  It was a rhythmn thing that fell more into the 'comfort' zone then 'control'.  I eventually ended up with target panic as a result.  If you ever had target panic, it is not easy to get rid of(if you ever do).  Holding and relaxing at full anchor really has helped me be a better and more consistent shot.  Once you come to that anchor and establish control of the shot, you can eventually make quicker shots at moving targets with ease.  It is only my opinion from doing it this way.  Look at the form and shot sequence of all the top shooters you hear about and the ones you see at the big shoots.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
I don't see any reason to suggest that if you don't let her rip just as soon as you hit anchor you must not be shooting instinctive.

I have no aiming system other than my formerly hair covered computer, and where it tells me to point my hand.  I happen to think the best way to discribe instinctive shooting as looking and pointing the hand(bow hand)I shoot pretty quickly when I have to, I always hit a solid strong anchor, fast shot, or slow deliberate.  

I have increased by holding time to a general two seconds.  I find I shoot more consistantly when I do that.  In fact when my groups are opening up, I make a concerted effort to hold longer, and it works for me.

I would have to say, it is not how long you hold that dictates what method you use.  Some type of anchor point is required, no matter what it is, or where it is.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
What works for me is not actually holding, but slowing my draw way down as I approach my anchor.  It's like holding, but since I'm always drawing the bow, if only a fraction of an inch, it helps me to maintain my back tension.  That said, I never spend more than 1-2 seconds at full draw before I release.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »
I saw Tred Barta spook a javilina on his show by drawing too fast.If he would have drawn slowly,he would have gotten a shot.

Learn to draw slow,and when you hit your anchor,you can loose the arrow.You will be a lot smoother,and have a more harmonious outcome.   :campfire:

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
I do the same thing(release as soon as I hit full draw).When I force myself to hold it I don't shoot as consistently.Every few shots during practice I reach full draw and then let down. It's hard to do for me but it forces me to stay in control of that arrow. It also replicates a hunting situation. On Friday, I came to full draw several times on a hog and had to let down to wait for the right shot angle.
One of the many advantages of hunting with a stickbow is being able to shoot quickly.
(I got the hog,by the way)

Offline Gurn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 01:33:00 AM »
I try and pratice both ways. Most times I slow draw and hold, but sometimes I just let her rip.
But I'm still ah larnin.
Just because it don't work for you, don't mean it don't.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »
YES YES YES
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©