Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Glove, Tabs or Release-aid?  (Read 737 times)

Offline Savate

• Trad Bowhunter
Glove, Tabs or Release-aid?
« on: January 16, 2008, 06:05:00 AM »
I've seen some other posts on help with release. I'm noticing that my shots are really bad when my release is bad (I use a glove, not tabs).

I've read that the string should be held at the first crease of your fingers but my glove has a crease there (like padding) and I think that sometimes the strings are "rolling" of my fingertips, instead of a smooth release.

I wondered if Tabs would be better (I've never used them).  Then I got to thinking about release-aids.  Is there such a thing as a 'Traditional" release aids or is that an oxymoron?   :)

Maybe some advice on the string "rolling" off my fingertips would be the ticket, but I'm just wondering....

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glove, Tabs or Release-aid?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
i have been using a cavilear elite cordoven tab.  it is VERY durable, will not crease, and will LAST.  the crease in your glove may be causing the rough release.  a high quality glove is the american leathers big shot.  its pricey but built to last.  get a good glove or tab and keep the hook at the first finger joint crease or as deep as between the first and second.  some trad shooters use release aids but not many at all.  it will also keep you from competing in any trad classes.  work the the fingers release and the results will be tremondous.  good luck!
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
soory i forgot.  the fell of the string rolling off the fingers for me came from a to shallow of a finger hook on the string.  it goes against all common sense but a good release generally needs to be as deep as the first crease or deeper.  expirement with a good tab or glove.
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
Shooting a tab or a glove is going to be a personal thing.  You'll really have to give both a try to know which one you like the best.  Where are you in western NC?  Our club is having a shoot the second satruday in Feb.  Check out thecta.org for more info.  And I'd be glad to let you shoot my BW cordovan tab and I could also bring an Amerian leathers big shot glove  for you to try also.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Savate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
Thanks!  I'll need to buy better gloves.

Hey Madness, I'm in Western NC near Asheville (i'm in Waynesville are).  I hope i can hook up with y'all.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©