Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Check out my form. Thoughts???  (Read 877 times)

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Check out my form. Thoughts???
« on: January 22, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
Not sure how to paste the link here. But, go to youtube.com and then search under longbow shooting. I am the second video(shooting 3 arrows outside on my deck) Thanks. Also, I have been away from this site for a while but am glad to be back.  BILL

Offline Todd Hathaway

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Check out my form. Thoughts???
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »
My first thoughts are that you have great line; you are getting the drawing elbow back far enough. Nice solid anchor too.

You seem to have more of a dead release than a dynamic one. Two things this might lead to: collapse before release and drawing hand flying away from the face. But it looks like you don't have a problem with the release hand. It does look like you had a tiny bit of collapse on the first shot. If you concentrate on continuous expansion of the draw, or a continuous push pull, then that should fix any collapse issues.

(also you shake a bit just prior to release....which can be solved by practicing holding as long as possible at the end of your shooting session)

Nice job.
-Todd

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »

Was this it?

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »
Excellent form! Beautiful to watch. Id only add to try canting the bow at various angles .It may help your aiming.After you lock this form down for a while you can speed the process up. Also incorporate using the back quiver.The shot starts from the quiver.Lastly if you see your bow hand at draw agaisnt the house siding lines and then after the shot youll see that you dropped the bow arm .

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
Bob, yes. Thannks for pasting it to this site. Cvarcher, actually I have been shooting for about almost 20 years. I just like to be VERY methhodical in my shooting. If I am ever off I am usually high or high left.One thing that I have been trying to do that has semmed to help is pointing my bow shoulder more toward the target. Thanks.  BILL

Offline eggomaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
Bill,
   It's hard to tell for sure from the video, however it looks like you might be wiggling your fingers and setting your middle finger too 'hard' on the bow, and maybe too 'far around' on the grip as well? (Maybe it is just a small bow grip?) (I would wager you have done a lot of bowling?)if you give me odds
````````````````
When I first set the nock with a deep grip on the string, I like to have my bow hand wide open. Even though the draw is only at about 10% at this point, it's a pretty sureproof way to feel the bow is being pulled into the middle of the arm bones and the lifeline in the palm. Before, or as?, I start the full draw, I put a 'snug' grip on the handle with my thumb and forefinger. The lower 3 fingers automatically seem end up lightly touching the grip during the shot.
-----------
  I wish the author of Idiot Proof Guide would put out a book for specifically for traditional bows, but I still think his book is 'must read', even if you don't shoot compounds. I learned so much from that book and am finally getting 3D rounds above 100, and got my 1rst round without a zero 2 weeks ago. My burnig goal now is to do rounds with no second arrows.--
`````````
Oh, your brace height seems high enough to not worry, but I was taught to move my watch to the right arm while shooting.
dance like Elvis is watching you

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »
That hitting left could be because your not canting enough.You are correct in seeking to get the bow shoulder pointed at the target.John Shultz says this was absolute law from Howard Hill.

Offline DanP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
I do not consider myself an expert by any means but I was shooting left with my longbow and found that if I turned the cock feather in it went right to center, one of the guys I shoot with explained it but its longer winded than this reply,any you might give it a try.
john 3:16

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©