Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Cant with 3 under  (Read 668 times)

Offline Steve S

• Trad Bowhunter
Cant with 3 under
« on: January 23, 2008, 08:59:00 AM »
I've just switched to shooting 3 under and have a question on how much you can cant the bow with this style. Shooting split fingers I like to lay the bow over and was wondering if I can do likewise shooting three under? Appreciate any advice or experience you may have - thanks!
Shoot every arrow as it's the last as some day it will be.

Offline Sticks only

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cant with 3 under
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »
I am no expert and have only been shooting traditional for a few years. But, I shoot three under and cant the bow quite a bit. It seems to work well for me. In fact I didnt realize how much I was canting the bow until the other day when my wife was watching me shoot. She said "you tipping your bow at about a 45` angle". This has not been any concern to me, as my shooting has only improved since swithcing to three under. Split finger feels very awkward to me now. When I first started in archery 20 years ago as a young boy, a wise man told me that "In archery, things are different for each person, and if something is working well for you, do it"
Whisperstik Testmonkey

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
The way you hold the string makes little difference in the amount you can cant the bow.  Either way you still have to have everything lined up to make a good shot.  Time on the range will tell you how much you can cant a make a good shot.  There are a couple videos Terry made showing reverse cant shots somewhere on here.  The limit of your cant is based more on your physical build than anything else.  Shoot what you feel comfortable shooting.  I have watched video of me shooting and I don't think I have too many back to back shots where the cant angle is the same.  I don't pay any attention to amount of cant I pay attention to how it feels.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Steve S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies. What I was worried about is shooting from a tree stand. Many time if I'm hunting from a permanent and or a climber I have to cant the shot to avoid my bow limbs from hitting the stand supports or bars. With split shooting, I shoot purely instinctively never seeing the arrow. With 3 under I see the arrow and I partially gap shoot by using the arrow to do the initial sight picture and then totally concentrate on the target spot.
Shoot every arrow as it's the last as some day it will be.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©