Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Getting tired  (Read 1136 times)

Offline M.P.

• Trad Bowhunter
Getting tired
« on: January 25, 2008, 11:30:00 PM »
I shot my 1st 300 round tonight,and shot pretty good the 1st half but faded the last 2 rounds of the 2nd half.I was the only recurve shooting, the rest were compounds,so we shot about 3 hours.

I ended up with a 252,but the last round I shot a 15 and 4 of the 5 shots I couldn't reach full draw.(I did will myself to a solid anchor the last shot)

Do ya'll have trouble with getting tired at spot shoots?I hope this is because its early in the season and I havn't shot much the past month or so.I  just hope target panic is trying to return.

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting tired
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 11:46:00 PM »
I don't so much get tired physically as I do mentally. Of course I'm only drawing 48# on my target setup.
My biggest problem right now is keeping that damn bow arm solid. If I lose concentration I start to collapse a bit and that just wreaks havoc on my shooting.

252 is some great shooting! My best is only a 240 and I was pretty happy to shoot that. What are you shooting?
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline M.P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
41# Zipper,gold tip 600s

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
M.P.you just need to shoot more arrows and build up your stanima....
3D shoots here are around 84 shots, So I train to shoot 150 shots....
    I almost always shoot the last half of a shoot better than the first half....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline bowtime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
I am returning to Trad shooting after 40 years.
Started with a 40# recurve....just bought 45#
Hoyt Dorado. I purchased a Bowfit excersizer..
works great. I set it for 20# and pull it every morning 10-20 reps. The Bowfit is adjustable
to increase pull weight. I can feel the difference
in my ability to pull the 45#. Cost less than $25.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
252 out of 300 is fantastic shooting!

There is no substitute to build stamina. Repitition is all you can do.

I too shoot on a three hundred league, and I use the same set-up I use for hunting. I change nothing, except arrowheads.

This thread started out with you asking for help, but I would like to know what your secret is. Physically, I have no problem, but by the last few rounds my concentration is worse than a two year old after drinking a 2-liter Mountain Dew.

How do you maintain your concentration for so long?

After forty or fifty shots, I so much want to shoot at something besides a round white circle.

Offline M.P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
The longer I shoot the harder it is to concentrate.I usually start strong but struggle near the end of a shoot.

I have had target panic for several years(some years worse than others)I put my clicker back on and it has worked pretty good.I still have trouble from time to time.Last weeks 300 round was my 1st indoor shoot.I shot pretty good except at the end.(I wish it was called a 290 round)

Strength is not my problem.I work my shoulders at the gym 3 days a week.My problem is my brain.   :)  To concentrate:I talk to myself a lot while shooting.I just wish I listened more

Offline M.P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
Me and my clicker bow shot a 259 tnite with no target panic problems.Missed out on a 260 plus when I kind of lose my balance because my feet were to close together and shot a 2 on a shot.I am happy the panic bug didn't come back.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
I shot three PAA rounds in the 290s with a target bow back when I was young and able.  My hunting bow was an 88 lb, Hill, that target bow felt like a heavy toy.  I would bet I could not break 200 today with a longbow, but I can shoot tennis balls out of the air at 12 yards.  the pressure of inline shooting is more than my nerves can endure.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 12:53:00 AM »
I think that's a pretty respectable score too. I know when we used to shoot indoors in the winter my shooting was off. Just hard for me to get excited about paper targets. I would shoot good in the beginning when I was fresh and concentrating and then I would taper off. Then we would play bow darts and it would pick up again for a bit.

The best practice for me was the orange hockey ball on a string swinging from side to side. I really had to concentrate to hit that puppy and it was more exciting.

Another thing we would do is get a manican head from a local hairdresser and put a balloon on the head and then apples etc. That usually kept us going until somebody hit the manican and then it was a free for all.  :biglaugh:  

I really find boredom to be my biggest enemy. I love roaming around the hills here in Whitehorse - sometimes on my horse and stump shooting. That's the best for me.

Jer Bear

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 06:00:00 AM »
I think most trad shooters tend to shoot too fast at the 300 round. Try pacing yourself more with the compound shooters with a definate break between shots. Muscles do much better when allowed to recover even for 10 to 15 seconds between shots and you cannot finish any sooner then the slowest shooter anyways.

This also gives you a chance to relax and regain your mental focus between shots rather then trying to maintain it thru all 5.

Steve

Offline deathwind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
Nice shooting Mike!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©