Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: mike fedora shooting form  (Read 1144 times)

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
mike fedora shooting form
« on: August 30, 2006, 09:02:00 PM »
i read in an older post in the shooting forum about mike fedora anchoring high with his index finger being anchored at his eyesocket. does anyone have info or pics of an anchor like this?
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: mike fedora shooting form
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 05:56:00 AM »
When I first started shooting a bow. I shot in a very simular manner.I was also barrel shooting.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 11:03:00 AM »
isn't that the japanees style of shooting?

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 11:39:00 AM »
sal,that would be kyudo,,,i'm not sure as to how mike fedora shoots,just heard about his high anchor and was interested in his form.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 12:20:00 PM »
Dan Toelke lives about 15 mins from me. Dan went through all of his schools and a little more as I undestand. He has helped me with my shooting and has talked about Mikes form a little bit. He teaches split finger with the anchor directly under the eye. The string hits the eye brow. You also have a 3rd anchor from either the thumb or middle finger being placed on the face. With 3 postive spots the anchor is very repeatable under any shooting position.
  With that said mine is modified and I anchor with the middle finger  under my eye and the thumb joint in contact with my cheek bone. I do not tilt my head enough (dosen't feel good tho I have worked on it) to get the string to my eye brow.
  The anchor is pulled in very tight to the face with constant back tension as you maintain a push follow through on the release.
 Thats the best I can explain it.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline maxfit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
ttt... intersesting topic. any more info on this style. thanks.
Lu 11:21  When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Offline maxfit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
What if you wear glasses? I tried it but i keep hitting mine?

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 05:34:00 AM »
The very first time I picked up a bow in the 80's, I shot with a high anchor.  The arrow points to what you are looking at.  It is like a laser from your eye.  After shooting like this for a while you will automatically compensate for different distances.  In the 90's I tried to shoot with a lower anchor like everyone else because it was the "in" thing to do I guess.  I am nowhere near as accurate shooting with a lower anchor versus a high by eye anchor.

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »
Maxfit... I also use the high cheekbone anchor method. I also wear glasses, and cannot bring myself to contacts or Lasik surgery. What you may need are small frame "John Lennon" type glasses. This has worked for me.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
maxfit,

The key here isn't using your eyebrow as an anchor point, the key is to have two, or better three, anchor points. This does two things, first it helps ensure that you draw back the same amount each time, and second that your head (this is where three becomes important)is at the same angle each time you shoot which keeps your sight picture consistent.

You could anchor with one finger on your canine tooth, your thumb joint touching your cheekbone, and your eye looking down along the top of your arrow shaft and have a consistent sight picture every time. Just pick three points that work for you.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline maxfit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
GREAT I WILL TRY IT. aNOTHER QUESTION. aRE YOU LOOKING DOWN THE ARROW SHAHT AND USING IT AS A POINTER, OR JUST LOOKING AT THE TARGET. i CANT USE A POINT OR BEAD BECAUSE I SEE TWO WHEN BOTH EYES ARE OPEN. THATS WHY I JUST LOOK AT THE TARGET. Although the arrows dont go where i am looking all the time?

Offline maxfit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
Although i just noyiced i do shoot a little better than i type. Sorry.

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
Hey guys

If your interested in his style check out the Mar/Apr Bowhunter magazine.  There is an article in the Stickbow section about him and his style with a few pics of his son.  I met Mike at the STAR in PA 2  
years ago.  I asked about one of his bows and he ended up spending an hour coaching me.  His pointers definately helped out my shooting.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©