Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Bare shaft tuning ?  (Read 599 times)

Offline Alaskan Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Bare shaft tuning ?
« on: January 31, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
Hello all,
I have a newbie question,Please forgive me if this question sounds silly but here goes. I understand the need and mechanics of bare shaft tuning. Start with the longest shaft possible and trim as necessary until you get good arrow flight (bullet holes). But what brand or type of glue do you use on carbon arrows that will allow you to remove the insert after it has beem glued in and shot if you have to trim it more?
Any information would be helpfull

Alaskan

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bare shaft tuning ?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
There are a couple of ways to do this.  One way is to wrap the insert with the teflon tape you use to seal PVC threads.  I use the same hot melt they use on aluminum arrow inserts to install my carbon inserts, because it works fine and allows me to change my mind later if I want to.  So I've kind of gravitated to putting a small dab of hot melt on the inserts in my bare shafts, which is a little more secure than the teflon tape.  Lost too many inserts in targets.  When you want to change the insert or trim a little off the carbon shaft, you just hold the end of the shaft with a field point installed in boiling water for 15-20 seconds and it pulls right out.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bare shaft tuning ?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
With the carbons I use you can just pop out the nock and trim from that end.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©