Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Archery Mechanics - How do I train myself not to drop my arm when shooting  (Read 939 times)

Offline Yazoo Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
I've been told by a number of people that I keep dropping my left arm (I'm right handed, thus, my left arm is the one holding the bow) when I shoot.  Appearantly, right after I release my arrow, my left arm drops drastically.  I guess this is really bad? And is effecting my accuracy and consistency.

Any ideas on how I can train myself NOT to do this?
To become a professor, one must start as a grasshopper.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Archery Mechanics - How do I train myself not to drop my arm when shooting
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
Yes....get yourself properly aligned.  There's plenty of info on this forum about proper alignment, and also a segment dedicated just proper alignment on the DVD The Bowhunters of Trad Gang.

The Bowhunters of Trad Gang DVD
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Jack Aldridge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
Set something under the bottom of the bow (with enough clearance it doesn't interfere with your shot) so that if you drop the bow it touches....this should just be a matter of practice to correct. Our human minds can only process one thought at a time...so another method would be to start 4-5 yards from the target and concentrate only on your bow hand as you release. Don't worry about aiming or release when you do this....you won't be consistent anyway until you break this habit. once again...this should just be a matter of practice, and once you correct it you can began to address aiming, release, etc. Hope that helps.
(From a former bow-hand dropper!)

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
Good advice from both of the above posters.  Another method is to get close enough to a blank target bale that you can be sure that you won't miss.  Close your eyes and focus your mind only on keeping your bow arm up.  Do this for several hundred arrows.  It's ok to let your mind wonder as long as you are keeping the arm up.

When you feel that this is too easy, open your eyes every other shot.  Then after a while,keep your eyes open, but be sure that your mind is focused on keeping your bow arm up.

Once you have this mastered, put up a target.  Make sure that the target is large enough that you can't miss.  Shoot the large target from close up, but gradually move back until you are at the full distance that you want to shoot.  Then gradually reduce the size of the target to where it is as small as you want it to be.

If, at any point, you drop your arm, immediately go back to the step just prior to the one where the breakdown occurred.

This is the long hard way to cure any shooting problem that is established in your subconscious.  It isn't easy and it is time consuming.  However, it works.  Once you finish, you will have a new habit ingrained into your subconscious that is at least as hard to break as your old one.  The key is to discipline yourself to drop back a step as soon as your shot breaks down and the old habit pops up.  

Good luck,
Allen

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
Another tip, do a search of Terry's clock
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Drummer@Home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
I have this problem as well. I find if I try to focuss on pushing with my tricep. The feeling your looking for is that the bow would (if you let it) jump at the target apon release. That way your not pushing down or to the left wich will agravate the problem. I have to use the heel of my hand a bit more to get this feeling.
Luck
Zen without realization of the body is empty speculation. If I could only stop dropping the BOW!!!!!!

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 12:16:00 PM »
Something that also helps me is to shoot with eyes closed and just focus on the bow arm. Its not a fun way to practice but if I just focus on the one thing for 10 to 15 min. a day It seems to help.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
Freeze your bow arm and release hand for a count of two after the shot.  You should see immediate improvement.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
Throughout the draw, release, and follow through keep your eyes focused on that one spot on the target. You're not done shooting until that arrow hits the target so don't stop shooting until it does.

Offline stickflippinnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
I too have suffered with this problem for years.
A freind I shoot with told me to practise holding my bow up in front of the target with out shooting. Take a mental shot and hold my bow until the arrow hit the target. Then take a real shot and hold the bow up until the arrow hits the target. This method worked great for me. If my arrows are hitting low and left, I know instantly what the problem is and force myself to hold my bow up. It's a mind over matter thing you have to work on. Form is everything!!!
USMC retired, Every Marine an Archer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©