Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: New glove - arrows showing stiff  (Read 799 times)

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
New glove - arrows showing stiff
« on: February 08, 2008, 04:48:00 PM »
Is it possible when you shoot with a new glove (I bought a glove that has Cordovan tip overlays)didn't know I was getting that and my arrows are showing stiff now  :confused:  . Used to just have the same glove, but no overlays. I heard that people like 'em once they break it.

Anyyone else experience this?

Jer Bear

Minus 40 here in the yukon - can't get out to shoot  :(  .

Offline Talco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New glove - arrows showing stiff
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
Could be not being broken in you are not getting in to the side of your face tight enough.I had this problem with Hill type gloves.
Talco

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 01:05:00 AM »
I have shot about 100 arrows now and the glove is breaking in and I am getting used to it more now. Was tough when you shoot with a glove for so long and then it falls apart. I bought 2 and I am going to break them it together so I will have a reliable backup.

thanks for your reply

Jer Bear

Offline Tom A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
Glove thickness can effect tuning. You can usually fix it by adjusting brace height a couple twists. If your stiff try adding 2-3 twists to your string and raising the brace a little.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
I will try it, but doesn't that make it more stiff. I like the idea, but wouldn't I take a few twists out to make the bow shoot faster (more string and limb travel) to help soften the spine. Maybe I'm wrong, but thanks for the reply

Jer Bear

Offline Tom A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
No. For a stiff arrow you raise brace. Its a common mistake because it works backwards from what you would think.  

Why it works that way is complicated to understand or explain but its sort of like when you are increasing your brace your bow acts like its shooting a longer arrow making it weaker.

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 06:43:00 AM »
in my experience brace hight may be something that needs to be tuned with all bows and their shooters and arrow but i find that with lighter draw weight bows the release and form is much more crutial . a new glove can definately effect your releasei know it has for me so i did the same thing you did bought two of the same glove and break them in togetherand alternate them throughout your shooting . the lighter the bow  draw weight the more the release effects arrow flight.iv found spine and bh is not nearly as important as form and release.ie. i get a 2216 to fly clean out of a 15 lb bow with clean form and release.i use that combination to test and work my form and release and it has made tremendouse results.
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
Do ya Have a Basement in yer House? Up there in the  GREAT WHITE NORTH?? BRRRRRR. Makes Me Cold to Think about it.  :eek:  Good Luck, You Will Come Out Of Problems That You Have Now!
   Are the Finger Stalls Twisting on Your Fingers after Shooting awhile? Bowlers and Pitchers  "ROSIN BAG" will Stop That!   :thumbsup:    :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »
Yeah they twist a bit - I will try the rosin. Actually the glove is starting to break in now, plus I'm breaking in a new bow. I bought it for my son for his birthday, but he has turned off for a bit. :confused:

He just turned 19 and balls as big as basketballs and knows everything if you know what I mean.

Good for me I get to use the new ACS CX longbow now for me until my Shrew comes. Hope he comes around soon cause I miss my hunting partner.

Anyway time will tell and in the mean time I have'em starting to group pretty good now.

first run through

After a bit of tuning. The yellows are field points and the orange are BH and of course the other is a flu flu (not tuned to the bow at all) plus I was crouching trying to get a better angle so I would ruin any arrows. I have some more tuning to do for sure and I can only shoot at 10 yards right now. Looks like the weather is breaking so I shoot be able to get out tomorrow and get on my horse and head up the mountain for some bunnies.

The angles (up and down are due to the broadhead target being shot out a bit now. They hit ok and then find some odd angles going in). They are all shooting straight and the bareshafts a bit nock high. This is out of the 62" A&H ACS CX 54#@28" 3 piece TD longbow. 29-3/4" Carbonwood 4000 loaded up with 8 grains per inch weight tubes with 130 grain heads - full weight of 670 grains.
  :D  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©