Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Archer's Paradox video  (Read 746 times)

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
Archer's Paradox video
« on: February 08, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »
Accidentally stumbled upon a few videos.
First one should reveal that it doesn't make any difference which helical a shooter uses. The arrow doesn't begin spinning until long after it leaves the bow. I'm not even trying to begin any controversy, it's just a pretty neat video. Watch that the arrow doesn't begin spinning until it's about 1 foot and a 1/2 out of the bow:
  http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2HHgAoEIQbg&feature=related
Next is an Archer's Paradox high speed film: Personally I wold say they used a rather weak spine to create THAT much effect:
 http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aNI9BG87qcI&feature=related
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Archer's Paradox video
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
:D
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 04:30:00 AM »
If you play stop and go at slow motion with the Howard Hill dvds, you can see how his arrows first bent into the bow and then snaked around the bow as they pass by it.  I could never figure if that was a negative or a positive.  With the right spine it could be an equalizer of release torque and be more forgiving than a stiff arrow with a dead center shot bow.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
Karl:  Interesting video.  Easton did something like that, though more comprehensive, about 20 years ago.  Shows effects of releasing with fingers and a release.  Alwo shows that the arrow bends both horizontally and vertically as it leaves the bow.  The Easton video shows just as much bend in the shafts, and they were correctly spined to the bow.  It's amazing how much shafts bend when they're released, more with fingers and non-centershot bows than with triggers and centershot bows, of course.

When the arrow starts spinning has nothing to do with which helical one (should) use.  Are you talking about the myth that says if you're right handed you should shoot right wing feathers, and vice versa?  Or is it the other way around?    

Regardless, most folks just shoot whatever wing they happen to buy or have a fletching jig for.  There are only two reasons one might want to select a particular wing/helical direction.  For those self-bow shooters who shoot off their knuckle, one wing/helical direction works better than the other because of where the leading edge of the feathers lie on the shaft, i.e., they're  less likely to cut the shooter's nuckle as they pass, but I don't remember which it is now.  The other reason is to spin the arrow to complement a single bevel broadhead, i.e., right wing feathers with right wing bevel.  Other than that, it makes no difference which wing/helical direction one uses.  When the arrow starts spinning is a spurious connection.

Offline brettlandon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 01:08:00 AM »
kbaknife,
 It appeared to me that the arrow began it's revolution as soon as it left the string.  Since the nock does not spin, despite the air resistance on the helical fletchings, this is exactly what I would expect to happen (ie. nothing as long as the arrow is attached to the string by the knock.  But still, the videos were way cool!  :bigsmyl:  

-Brett
Excellence is achieved, not purchased.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©