Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Around the bullseye but not in it.  (Read 982 times)

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
Around the bullseye but not in it.
« on: February 11, 2008, 03:00:00 AM »
I haven't been shooting long but I really love it. I have a 45# recurve 60" long. I shoot aluminum arrows off a flipper. Instinctive shooting. At 15-20 yard, I can consistently get all the arrows on the target, most of them AROUND the bullseye, let's say on the ring or an inch off, but usually none inside the bullseye. I've head that you have to concentrate your aim on a hair not the whole animal and know that to be true since I've shot rifle and pistol for years. I am trying to do that, placing little stick on dots or stars on the bullseye, but I'm still "around" the mark instead of in it.
Advice??
Thanks
Sam

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Around the bullseye but not in it.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »
Instinctive shooting... You developed a sight picture your subconscious feels is proper/positive/comfortable/okay to release.  This is where you have the urge to release the string.  You just have to reprogram.  I do this by starting at 10 yards and stepping back 2 yards at a time.  I shoot around the bull all the time.  When I hit to the left, I know my bow arm is not straight.  When I hit to the right, I know I am plucking the string.  I noticed that back tension plays a vital role in me not plucking the string.  I have to shoot with a straight bow arm since I tend to "throw" my arrows left.  With some practice and patience, you will move all your arrows into the bull if you are hitting around them now.  I also advocate shooting only one to three arrows per end.  Pounding arrow after arrow into a target only makes you tired and sloppy in my opinion.  There was no forums when I learned to shoot.  Wished there was one back then, I would be much farther ahead had there been.

Offline Jack Aldridge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
You don't really say if your arrows are grouping or not. If they aren't then either your equipment or form is at fault. If they are grouping you should be able to keep practicing and have your group move into the bull. I think your idea about shooting at a particular spot is excellent, but I have no idea if putting a star, etc. on a bullseye is allowed in a sanctioned tournament. It may not be. Thing is....if you practice that way then can't do it in a match it may affect your shooting.
Hope that helps...

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 12:44:00 AM »
Hi  Thanks very much. I am shooting a lot of arrows. Maybe too much? I don't really get tired for about at least 70-80 shots. Then I start to feel a little let off. I try to maintain back tension but I release too quickly. I was almost snapshooting before. Now I make a conscious effort to hold before release, but probably too fast anyway.  As for groups, my arrows sort of circle the bulls eye. Now and then I'll get 2 or 3 in the same spot, but overall they go around the center. If I tend anyway, I tend left. I don't pluck much anymore since I started to use a deeper bend in my fingers to hold the string.

Thanks.
Sam

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »
Have you tried to not shoot at a bulls eye.  My daughter shoots at dandelions stuck in the target, my son shoots at my knocks, I would concentrate on the follow though with no bulls eye.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 01:17:00 AM »
Not sure I understand, Laddy. Do you mean to just put something on the target and shoot at it rather than hit the circle? I can try that.
thansk
sam

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
Aim Small - Miss Small

Make your own 'bull's eye' out of a white piece of paper and a black spot about the size of a quarter and see how it goes....

Once you get that down, and a pleased with your 'bull's eyes'....then try some bulls eyes with a little less contrast.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 01:19:00 AM »
I'll give that and the 10 yards approach a try and see what happens. I think the "reprogram" idea is a very good one.

Thanks to all

Sam

Offline csbullseye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
Shoot your first arrow, then use it as the target. Try to shoot the nock off. Or better yet, if you are shooting with someone else, use their arrow as the target and shoot their nock off.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 01:33:00 AM »
I've done a couple of things: Shortened distance and worked on form; put a stick on red dot on the bag; concentrated on keeping everything still after I let go the shot until it hits the target; making a deeper grip on the string; coming to a definite stop and hold before release. I'd say groups of 12 arrows are within a 12 inch circle around the center, and 4-5 are in the bullseye with each 12 arrows. Better than that, there are no wild eccentric shots. Thank you for all your help and suggetions. Sam

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 07:50:00 AM »
Also check your alignment. You want a straight line from the point of the arrow through the nock to your draw hand elbow.

Sometimes poor alignment will push the arrows one way or the other.  I'm right handed and when I get sloppy with alignment, I tend to push arrows to the left.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
I've tried all these suggestions and sort of blended what was needed for me. The result was great improvement. I'm shooting 100 arrows a day at 20 yards, and every day the group gets smaller. I can say that they are all on the sack target at least, don't have to go hunting for any in the grass, which is a big plus. Generally, pretty much grouped close to the mark I shoot at on the sack. Thanks very much

sam

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
Down at my club the compound guys use roofing nails to hold the targets on the butts.  I shoot at the nails.  You have to focus.
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©