Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: String hitting face?  (Read 1294 times)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
String hitting face?
« on: February 16, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
I'm not even sure that's what's happening, but something, either the string or my finger, has started hitting my face when I shoot and leaving a mark on my cheek just below my cheekbone, even to the point of leaving a small scab.  I asked my wife to look at me shoot, but she says my hand is covering my face and she can't tell if it's the string or my finger that's causing the problem.  I haven't had this problem before.  I wonder what I'm doing to cause it?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline ArcticArcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: String hitting face?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »
Are you using a glove or a tab?  When I shoot a tab I get the same thing.  I thought I might be getting my face too close and when the release happens the edge of the tab gets me.  Now I stick to gloves.  I thought about trimming the tab down a bit.

Just a thought.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud member of the Twister Twelve

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
I use an American Leathers Bigshot glove, which I've used for some time.  I have tried to use a deeper hook on the string lately, which has improved my shooting, but it is possible that with the deeper hook, my forefinger is hitting my face when I release, or maybe rolling the string into my face.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »
It is actually your slick nylon overlay that rubs your face.  Your fingers follow the string for a short distance and then snaps backwards.  In doing so, the folded and sewn part on the finger stalls scratch your face.  It can be prevented by using more back tension and relaxing the back of your draw hand.  The combination of a deeper hook and not enough back tension to get a clean release causes this to happen.  I do the same thing.  I "scrub" my release, as Rod Jenkins calls it, due to lack of back tension and/or collapse of the draw.  To test this theory, I went out and paid attention to my back tension and found out that it is true.  Try maintaining back tension with a deeper hook and pushing your bow hand at the target.  Your release will be smoother and so will your face...Chuc

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
Thanks Chuc, I tried your advice and it does seem to help.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
Sometimes when I get tired that happens to me too.  The reason being not drawing fully but rather bending my neck forward and turning my face more to the string to get the illusion of a full draw.  When that starts to happen its time to put the bow down and find something else to piddle with for awhile.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
Sometimes it is just the nock point doing the damage, or a tiny spot on the nock point. A slight rub time after time is all it takes to start leaving a mark. Gapmaster  :)
"Just passing through"

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
I shoot a Big Shot glove and it works just peachy for me.  No problem at all with the finger stall overlays scraping my face.

Awhile back I discovered that when I'm shooting bows 60" or longer, I tend to turn my face in slightly due to the longer/different string angle, resulting in string rip on my face/nose. I can get by with a 60" bow, but this gets real bad with a 62"er.

This disappears when I'm shooting stuff 58" or shorter, as they simply fit my build & shooting style. I'm at my best with a 58" bow, but shoot stuff down to 52" w/o problems.

Possibly, this might be at least part cause of your problem...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
All good suggestions.  In my case, it turned out to be back tension.  Let it slip, I guess.  When I focused on it, the problem went away.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©