Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Question For Terry Green  (Read 724 times)

Offline Faith In Flight

• Trad Bowhunter
Question For Terry Green
« on: February 18, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
I was looking over this forum and saw this post.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=003829

Your pictures of form caused me to question my own, and I realized I was not properly aligned. It seems when I draw my bow my draw arm elbow is high and a bit out. Let me start by saying I came from the compound world. I was anal when it came to form with my compound bow but in the end found I shot better with a high elbow. I shot with a true back tension release, and was very good, on the verge of pro lvl. So it worked for me there im wondering if its best for me to shoot that way here? I got into traditional shooting because its the way I always wanted to shoot and I was bored with compounds because they were so easy, once you  get your form and release down.
     I drew back into the proper form and when I draw like that I feel a lot more scrunched up. I also noticed it feels like im not drawing the bow as far, and when I release my arrows fly tail low. I am using 2016's cut at 29 1/2 I believe, with a 125gr field point. I have a long draw as im 6'6''. I dont understand why the arrows are flying differently. I do admit things feel more alligned when I use the form you suggest, and I definatly feel it more in my back, after only a few shots my back was feeling it between the shoulder blades. My release was good with the other form, fingers stayed at the side of my face, and I did not push the bow away, I use a compound bow type grip (45 degree angle) and keep the grip very lose. After release the bow just sort of lazily falls over to the right side. So it feels like my follow through is alright too. Is the form im using really that bad? What problems will it cause? I am new to shooting trad, only a couple months in, and with my incorrect form I can keep my arrow within a 2" by 2" black dot out to about 12 yards, and within 2" of the dot out to 18 yards, with an occassional flyer, usually high. I use a Hoyt Gamemaster II 50lbs @ 28". Basically question is, what problems will my current form cause, and why does the change in form make my arrows fly tail low?

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question For Terry Green
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
The BEST way for me to answer you question is on 'The Bowhunters of Trad Gang DVD'.  I go into detail on proper alignment, back tension, double anchoring...etc.

Its so much easier to see and hear than to try and convey it here in the typed word.

I have know way of knowing if your form is 'all that bad' cause I've never seen you shoot.  Can ya post up a video?

Most important part of proper alignment is because we are bowhunters, and we have to manufacture and create shots in the field, and that's where proper alignment really shines...
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Junction hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question For Terry Green
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
You are 6'6" and only have a 29 1/2" draw length?
When I first went from the compound to recurve I only had a 28" draw length because I was drawing to my old anchor point (compound 31" arrows) and trying to hold at full draw. I could hit paper within 1" or 2" at 20 but from a tree always shot over their back. (This is a sign of poor form.) I'm finally listen to Terry, reading books and this forum and got a lesson. Now I've started drawing to 12:00 and 6:00. It's a pain to start over again but in the end it will be worth it to have proper form and alignment. Now that I'm at 12:00 and 6:00 I have a 31 1/2" draw length. I'm 6'1".
I've started over for the third time. It is worth learn correct alignment from the beginning.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©