Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: I punch myself  (Read 690 times)

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
I punch myself
« on: February 22, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
Every time I get done with practice I feel like I just went a round with a prize fighter.

When I release I hit myself a lot right in the cheekbone.  I try anchoring at the corner of my mouth and to push pull through the shot with my release arm moving to the back as I am pulling with back tension and whamo @#$%^%$#$%^&  chirp chirp chirp stars stars stars.......

Help I am almost down for the count!
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I punch myself
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
I do that too when I release before I am at anchor.  I sort of jerk through the last part of the draw and if I let go just at that wrong spot my finger tear at my cheek.  If I concentrate on my follow through I get my thumb under and behind my jaw bone, then when I release properly, my fingers tips go forward a bit and my arm goes back a bit, which equals to my fingers staying on my anchor point.  It's all easier said than done.

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »
The back of your string hand is too tense.  You are making what is known as a "claw" that snaps into your face when you release.  I did this for years until I figured out this back tension thing.  For me, it was due to a tensed cupping string hand and the bicep draw.  When done properly using back tension, you hand should go slightly backwards as you release or stay put but move away from your face.

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »
So I have really been thinking of back tension when I draw and it has help a lot.  I don't hit myself llike I did.  Thank you!
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©