Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Not sure what my problem is...  (Read 1074 times)

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Not sure what my problem is...
« on: February 25, 2008, 02:21:00 AM »
I've been trying to work on my form, especially anchoring.  I've gotten worse and worse.  I've always been what I call a pull through shooter.  In other words, I draw and when my finger hits my "anchor" I release.  I don't think it's really snap shooting, but it may be. Usually my first 2 shots are spot on.

When I try to stop at my anchor, I hit all over the place. No consistency whatsoever.

Any suggestions on what I need to do?
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Not sure what my problem is...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 03:07:00 AM »
just keep on doing what ya doing it obviously works for ya. i can vouch for this as i do it my self and it must work as i came 3rd in the new zealand longbow championships  :thumbsup:    :archer:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 03:22:00 AM »
The only thing you should watch out for is if you start jerking your draw to reach anchor or you start letting it slip short of your anchor.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »
Well, stop stopping at anchor.  :D  

No problem if you never stop pulling, long as you aren't drawing too fast and not getting the same anchor and release every time.....long as its controled, a dynamic release is no problem for those that prefer that style.

Try slowing down your draw as you reach anchor, and creeping back instead of stopping.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »
If you got the best lessons from the best coach and then tried to use what ya just learned odds are very good your gonna do worse at least at first.

Loose the target,learn YOUR shot and exactly what it feels like.Ya can do this from 5' with no fear of missing anything since your not trying to hit anything.If you can shoot you'll be able to hit.

I believe the Korean's (sp) don,t shoot a target for  a yr just learning to shoot first....they kick our butts in the olympics

Have FUN!! and good luck
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »
roknjs,

Swampbuck just gave you some excellent advice.  What he is telling you to do is blank bale shooting.  That is the proper place to build your shot....without the pressure of aiming.  

Now....probably the reason that everything goes to pot after you stop at anchor is that you are not maintaining what you have brought to order and arranged at that point.  My guess is that number one is back tension.

The bale is where you drill "your" shot into the subconscous without the added dimension of aiming.  Work on one aspect of your shot at a time piece by piece.  When you get to the point that you can duplicate "your" shot...shot after shot...on the bale, then you can add the aiming.  Start close and gradually work your way back.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
Brett and Tom.......   :thumbsup:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
I'll try this.  Thanks for the help.
Jeff

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
Is your bow hand moving, or your not hitting your anchoring?
A number of years ago after switching almost completely from a compound bow I found trad bows light so I added a bow quiver and really helped improved my shooting. The additional weight allowed me to stabilize the hold and allowing me to get my anchor right.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 02:18:00 AM »
I posted on another thread that my problem seemed to have something to do with drawing too fast.  I wasn't releasing too soon, I was rushing the draw and I wasn't letting the bow settle into my grip.  When I slowed my draw, it allowed me to maintain back tension through my draw and release.

Just need to work on some fletching issues and keep up the blind bale and grip work.
Jeff

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
Had some free time this weekend and I rewatched Byron Ferguson's Become the Arrow, Masters of the Barebow Vol 1, and Dead on Traditional.  Went back to the range and changed my form a little, concentrated on back tension and stoping at anchor for about 1 sec.

The fire is rekindled.  My groups got much better today.  Now I just need to keep that form up.  I have a clicker coming to try to fine tune my form even further.
Jeff

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©