Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Fedora article in Bowhunter Mag.  (Read 1080 times)

Offline ChadF

• Trad Bowhunter
Fedora article in Bowhunter Mag.
« on: February 29, 2008, 11:45:00 PM »
Did anyone read this article on shooting form? It seems like it should work but when I try it, it feels very ackward. He says that you should touch you chin or jaw to the shoulder of your bow hand to ensure a more solid anchor and to eliminate lefts and rights. When I try this, it seems as though I am rolling my shoulder in towards the string and my face and I am often smacking my arm upon release. I am willing to try anything that will help make me a more consistant shooter and this seems like it would work well, maybe I just need to keep working on it, I dont no. Any opinions?

Offline JImmyDee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fedora article in Bowhunter Mag.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 12:33:00 AM »
Bob Wesley -- and others: Kisik Lee, Byron Ferguson, at least -- recommend keeping the bow arm "back and down" so that the ball of the humerus is located in the middle of the socket in your shoulder.

I'd try something else...

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 07:07:00 AM »
Ask 10 shooters and get 10 different opnions.Mike is a great bowyer,but his methods arent for everyone.I read the article too and disagree with alot of what he says.
TGMM "Brotherhood of the Bow"   "Family of the Bow"

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 07:52:00 AM »
Lessons from Mike took my shooting to a much higher level.
A significant change in form most often does not feel right and often results in a tempory loss of accuracy. To fully evaluate it, you have to committ to try it for a time that allows it to become comfortable and effective. Their are no simple secrets or magic bullets that make a lating change in a single session.

Steve

Offline stick hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
Mike'shooting style does work!! but it will feel weird at first, but i can tell you if you see mike and jason shoot you will see that it works for them!!!! I also wonder why this wasent in traditional bowhunter????

Offline ChadF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.
SteveB, am I right about rolling in your shoulder to achieve Mike's style or am I not understanding the article?

Offline ChadF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »
By The way, I've read G. Fred Asbell's books on instinctive shooting and found them very interesting. Just wondering if you guys could tell me what other books are out there that really talk about shooting form with trad equiptment. Thanks Chad

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 08:01:00 AM »
On MB1 Denny Sturgis talked about looking down his bow shoulder.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Kevin Lawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
I tried it and thought I shot better but I just couldn't get used to the awkwardness. My draw length is short enough. Another thing I am not doing is anchoring high while shooting split finger.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
I spent some time with Mr. Fedora.  I think some guys might be misunderstanding what he says.  He told us to imagine that our chin what touching our shoulder in other words to be very aware of the relationship between chin and shoulder. He never said to actually touch the shoulder with the chin.

I didn't read the article though so I'm not aware of what he said there.

the chef

Online champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
Which issue of BM is the article in ?
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
Just doing it without a bow in my hand seems as though you are going to give up some draw length.

Craig

Offline rbdover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
Mike Fedora told me to tuck the chin down. I don't remember the chin to sholder message and I can't find my notes from my first lesson with him but I remember him tilting my head down so that my aiming eye was closer to the arrow and the "gap" was smaller. When I start sparying arrows, I focus on this, hold at full draw a little longer, lining it up and I then shoot tighter groups. This, plus practice works for me. Mike had my chest face the target a little too much which shortened my draw length. If I keep my feet at 45 degrees to the target like I think he said and pivot my sholders 90 degrees to the target, like the clock diagram shows, it all works great.
Aim and release as though you have but one arrow. Repeat as necessary.

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
It seems like Mike tweeks his advice to what each individual needs... I met with Mike a few weeks ago and he coached me to turn my face head on with the target - in my case, that would also entail putting my chin toward my shoulder.  It does feel a little awkward but when I don't do it, I have a tendency to shoot to the left of where I'm aiming.

Gene
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©