Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Moving Bow arm "on target"  (Read 694 times)

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Moving Bow arm "on target"
« on: March 10, 2008, 12:51:00 AM »
I use to be a snap shooter, but I have over the past few years developed a much more firm anchor with my thumb firmly resting under my jaw bone.  This helps me with shoulder alignment and gets my back muscles in play more.

The problem I have is with the shot sequence.  I am not one of the talented ones whose bow arm is pointing at the target the instant they hit anchor.  Instead, I find myself settling in at full draw, then moving my bow arm to put the arrow on the target (spot).  Is that okay, or can I do anything to get rid of that?

Anyone else shoot this way successfully?  It takes me a lot of discipline to keep my anchor held until I get on the bullseye. Is there a better way?

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moving Bow arm "on target"
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
Try to aim by focusing more on the target right before you get to anchor.  It would appear as if you have your draw and anchor where you want it but have not aimed.  You are waiting to get to full anchor before you concentrate on aiming the arrow.  No problem in that if you move the rest of your shooting parts to line up with your bow arm.  One fun way I use to try to get more focus on aiming while drawing or at end of draw is to make awkward position shots.  These can be as simple as sitting on a bucket or log to over the shoulder or under the log.

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
For most of us there is no quick way to the end. the flight path must be learned and burned into memory, you are doing the right thing by perfecting your form this has to be done and consistant before the bow arm will go to spot on. with dedication this will come. no worries just keep shooting.

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 11:42:00 AM »
I had an old partner shoot like that. He would draw the bow above the target and get to a solid anchor. I guess since he isnt seeing the target it was easier for him to reach anchor overcoming any panic to release. Then he would settle the bow down to the target while at full draw. he was over 70 years old and his bows were 70lbs too.Thats alot of holding! he was a decent shot at the range but not in taking game. As Mr. Shultz says there has to be fluidity in the whole process .Look at the spot you want to hit and draw the bow with the least amount of travel while you continuously aim.When you hit anchor you shouyld be on target -release. Its faster and allows less margin for error. This is the hunting style that gets results.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whitetail Chaser:
I use to be a snap shooter, but I have over the past few years developed a much more firm anchor with my thumb firmly resting under my jaw bone.  This helps me with shoulder alignment and gets my back muscles in play more.

The problem I have is with the shot sequence.  I am not one of the talented ones whose bow arm is pointing at the target the instant they hit anchor.  Instead, I find myself settling in at full draw, then moving my bow arm to put the arrow on the target (spot).  Is that okay, or can I do anything to get rid of that?

Anyone else shoot this way successfully?  It takes me a lot of discipline to keep my anchor held until I get on the bullseye. Is there a better way?

Brett
I've been shooting like that for 20+ years. No problem hitting targets or taking game. If it's not broke...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©