Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: New Form Videos  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
New Form Videos
« on: March 13, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
Posting here because I am not sure it would be seen in the original post.

I have been working on the suggestions I got from my first post.  I am now to the point I am comfortable with my form.  I am happy with my shooting at the range (27 yards) I can shot at home.  Now I will continue honing my accuracy.

During this process I increase my draw length from 26" to a solid 27".  Also now have a solid anchor and no longer snap shoot.  Only bad part is, having to retune all my bows, as with the increase draw and poundage all my arrows were weak.

The video has really helped find the flaws in my shooting.  Video pick it apart, find one area to improve on, and then work on that via blind bale shooting and normal practice.  Video again focusing only on that aspect, if it is where you want it to be, pick the next area to work on.  Continue the process until it is natural.  Video every now and again to make sure you are maintaining your form.

Thank you everyone for the help and future help.  I am happy with my shooting and will not change anything now, as our hunting season just started here.  But I still would like to hear what everyone sees in my form and areas to work on after hunting season ends.

Here is a forntal and overhead videos.  Shooting a Border Black Douglas Ultra, 56" 65# @ 27".  Beaman MFX Classic 340's cut at 27-1/2" with 250 grain tips.

James

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Form Videos
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »
the only thing i see is when you draw the bow back you use a neutral, open grip and as you come to full draw you close your hand down (appears to be) tightly on the grip? this could be causing tourque. everything else looks fine.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
James,

You look MUCH more in control of the bow and the shot now.  You are aligned properly and not muscling the bow like before. You gotta love that PLUS the added power and effeciency you gained from your equipment.

It really tickles me to read your post.  I like hearing about improvement, and I can tell you went at it hard, focused, and commited.  Congrats to ya.

Best of luck to ya this season....keep us posted on that as well ya hear?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
From the front, looks impeccable.  From above, looks like you aren't really locking in your back muscles; your shooting elbow looks a bit too far right to be "in-line."  Try actually making your shoulder blades "touch."  They won't, but if you look at the video that's on here of that oriental girl shooting her recurve, you'll see the difference between what she does and what you do.  All said, your form is better than 90% of the guys I've seen.  Good luck, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »
I gotta say something here about the girls shoulder blades.

If you would please notice that she IS a girl, and that her back is narrow, which means that her shoulder blades are closer together than most men, and especially James'....so, if you tell him to look like her, he will be over drawing the bow.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »
True, Terry, just using her as an example.

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
Paul-Thank you for the compliment and suggestion.  I am not disregarding it, but I think maybe the camrea angle is what causes it to look like my elbow is not inline.  But I am sure it is, will video from another angle to double check.  

Also I have seen that video and thought I was doing pretty good in theat respect.  When I first seen this last video i said to my wife "hey look I have back clevage".  To add to Terry's comment, the girl in the video also is anchoring below the chin, which will put the shoulder blades closer together.

Terry - "especially James",  I am not that big, a whole 5'6" and 153 pounds.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
Yeah, you look very smooth and relaxed, your hand comes back to your shoulder after the shot, which indicates you are using your back, not plucking the string.  Like I said, I haven't seen many guys at the range with your form.  Good luck.  By the way, that's a nice bow you are shooting.  Always wanted to try one of the Borders.  Paul.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
Cool....just wanted to make sure that 'brawny lads' didn't over do it.   ;)

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 02:10:00 AM »
Terry,

I for one really like the girl's form much better than James'!

James,

You "bowshooting" form looks great except for the little minor detail doeboy pointed out in his first post. Quit changing your hand position and grabbing just before you release! I'm glad I never do that! Back tension makes all the difference, heh?
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 02:15:00 AM »
Try using a relaxed grip on the bow the entire shot process to stop the "open hand during the draw/closed hand just before release" syndrom.

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 02:16:00 AM »
BTW - Is your accuracy getting better?

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 02:51:00 AM »
James
     I noticed in the first video of the two; that your draw length changed a little just as you released.
  Then in the second video; I could see it was your bow arm doing it. I also noticed that your bow hand is open until just when you release; and then you close your hand on the bow; and the draw length changes.
  As you release you are gripping the bow; and when you do that: your draw length decreases.

I once broke the ring finger of my bow hand; and when I next shot my bow; it dropped to the ground. Seems that I had developed the habit of using just one finger; the ring finger- to catch the bow as I shot.
  I used a strap from my hand to the riser; and saved the bow from hitting the ground again.

You look like you have great form; I hesitate to ever see my own form on video ! I can't believe my form is as good as yours !

But - the use of the video lets us see the little things we do with form. In your case; I don't know if it using a sling and conciously not trying to hold onto the bow would change what is going on- or if it would distract you.

I do know that for me; catching the bow is an involuntary thing; I don't think about it at all- it just happens. I could be doing exactly what your doing.....

That's my 2 cents worth  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
Thanks Brain and Tilz,

The open hand is something I have always done.  It is something I will work on after the season.  

Since I was working on other aspects of my form I have not had time to correct this problem.  But I do consciously know it is there, and have work on it some as to not grab the bow at release.  If you watch the video my hand closes I second or to before release.  I could not get my hand to stay closed during the draw so I developed my form like this.  Focus on target, draw to anchor, Aim, Close hand (which locks me on target better, then release.  If I could do this every shot, I don't think it would be a problem, but I can not.  There are those time that I get on target faster then normal and the shot goes and I grap the bow.  In the normal sequence, I am not holding the bow tightly just wrapping my fingers around it.

Thank you again for the suggestions.  It gives me target focus area for after the freezer is full.

James

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
Tilz,

Accuracy is better.  A lot less fliers.  

At least for me I have to focus on shooting or form.  I learned that I must only worry about form until it becomes natrual.  Then I start shooting with this improved form.  This is were the accuracy comes from.  If the form is not natrual I am thinking about all the form aspects, and do not focusing on shooting.

I am in hunting mode now as the season just came in.  So no more form work just shooting.  I gauge my shooting using a 3d Target.  Twice per we I go out with 10 arrow and start cold.  Normally from 27 yards (maximum I can shoot at my house), I will have 6 to 7 in the heart and the rest in the lungs.  My 3D has been repaired many times and the vitals are hand draw on in their real location and a little smaller then normal.  From 20 yards it is normally 8 to 9 in the heart and the rest in the lungs.

James

Offline bfny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »
Expert shooter i'm not, but one tip i did learn along the way.. If you're gonna practice with the quiver attached to the bow, then fill it full of arrows, cause believe it or not this changes how the bow performs.. just my 4 cents..
One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.. 'Crazy Horse'

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
I would like to say thank you again to everyone that gave suggestions.  Tonight at dusk I when out for some practice after three days of not shooting.  Been busting my butt trying to get my house painted before I head to the mountains to chase the Red Stag around.  Started at 20 yards colded and shoot 15 arrows shooting 5 arrow groups, all where in the ten ring of my 3D deer.  The first shot was a pin wheel.  Next I took 10 shots from 27 yards (max. distance I can shoot in my yard).  Again all arrows in the ten ring.  Shoot 5 more from 27, 25, 20, 15, and 10.  These also were all in the ten ring.  Before I start doing all this from work I would need to practice everyday to maintain this consistency, now with a solid form I can only imagine what can be done with everyday practice.

Been keeping my bow hand closed also.  Still need to focus on that part as it has not become natraul yet, but will be shortly.  

James

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
James,

Great job and good luck with those stags. The way you're shooting I'd hate to be a Red Stag in Chile this year; they are in serious danger!

Scott

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
Way to go James...good luck!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©