Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: spine question arow flight problems  (Read 779 times)

Offline john1271

• Trad Bowhunter
spine question arow flight problems
« on: March 14, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
im  haveing problems with arrow flight i shoot a acadian tree stick 53#@28 i draw right at 28 ive shot gold tips 3555 they kick right. from 125- 200 grains up front at 28.5 now i have 5575's and they are doing the same with 125 - 200 up front the 200's fly alot better bare shaft and with feathers at 30 inches long need help still got a kick  shooting with bow straight and canted   :help:    :banghead:    :banghead:
black creek banshe 41#@28 60"god bless and have a red letter day...

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: spine question arow flight problems
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
John,

When I first went to carbons, they gave me fits too.  The Goldtips that you have in 35/55 will probably work fine in your bow, or with enough point weight the 55/75s could probably be made to work.  Please don't think I am insulting your intelligence, but almost everyone I know, myself included, had the same problem when switching to carbon shafts.  One of the main problem is nock fit.  Carbon nocks are made to fit compound strings and are usually way too tight on a traditional 12 strand string.  I use a little sandpaper on them until they fit just right.  That helps a lot.  Next, don't be afraid to really weight up the tip.  I usually start out with at least 200 grains of total weight up front, with full length shafts.  Carbons recover from paradox very quickly.  If I were trying to tune your set up I would start with those 35/55s at about 30 inches and between 175gr. and 200gr. up front.  Good luck and let me know if I can help at all.

Offline john1271

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 09:12:00 PM »
i notice the nocks are real tight i heard that it can make a differnce do you use the gold tip weights in your arrows?

Offline Stringdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
The nock fit should be that when an arrow is nocked, and pointed to the ground, the arrow should fall of with a light tap of the string.  

You also should start with your shafts full length, and cut a 1/4" off at a time till perfect flight is obtained.

Mike
" FEAR THE MAN WITH ONE BOW "

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
I have used the Goldtip weights, but usually don't.  Carbons are pretty forgiving so I usually tune with tips weighted from 100-250gr.  If I need more weight, then I add some of the 50 or 100gr weighted inserts and adjust the tip weight again.  If you already have the GT weight system, then by all means use it, but you don't really need to spend the money for it.  One thing that does help when tuning carbons is to have a wide assortment of tip and insert weights to try.  3 Rivers sells some tip weight test kits that are pretty nice.  Get those nocks to fit and I'll bet those arrows will be sceaming out of your bow in no time.

Offline john1271

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
i notice the nocks are real tight i heard that it can make a differnce do you use the gold tip weights in your arrows?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©