Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: bow preference for casual 3-d  (Read 869 times)

Offline ka

• Trad Bowhunter
bow preference for casual 3-d
« on: March 18, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
would it be preferred to shoot as heavy poundage as you can, for flatter trajectory, or somewhat lighter poundage for more exact placement?? also on a hybrid bow what would be a preferred limb length for this??

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow preference for casual 3-d
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
I'm no expert but I shoot 3D for fun and I figure the more I shoot my hunting bow the better off I am.  So I shoot the same bow and arrow setup I hunt with.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
3D was meant to be hunting practice.  

Some folks regard 3D as a target event and gear up accordingly.

Take yer pick.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
I use the same set up I do when hunting.  The only thing I vary is in the summer I don't wear my hunting clothes and strap on a side quiver.  I also don't care so much to try to hit every ten ring.  I use the 3D shoots as hunting practice and try to make the shots at the 3D targets the same as I would make hunting.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline ka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
I do shoot my hunting bows in these shoots. 60lb recurves, 58lb longbow. I notice that the flat trajectory of the recurve helps on longer stuff, but it might also help to shoot something a tad lighter as to aid concentration ( I'm still talking hunting weights. thoght maybe about dropping to 55-56lbs. and 62-64" hybrid bow??

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 09:38:00 AM »
I like to shoot my hunting setup, with quiver attatched.  If I wanted to win, I would shoot a 64" recurve in the mid 40's, with lighter arrows than I hunt with, and smaller feathers.  Of course, I usually shoot bows like the one described above for everything, just without the light arrows.  Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
would it be preferred to shoot as heavy poundage as you can, for flatter trajectory, or somewhat lighter poundage for more exact placement??
You can have both.  Heavy bow poundage isn't necessary for flat trajectory.  With the proper arrow weight, a 40-45# draw weight bow will give you plenty of speed.  Personally, I shoot 43# limbs for 3D.  Arrow weight is around 8.5 gr/#.  Come hunting season, I switch to 48# limbs and an arrow weight of 9-9.5 gr/#.  Many folks would be surprised how working with a lighter poundage during the Spring and Summer will help their form and release.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
For me, 3D is about hunting practice.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Chris is right; there's no reason to go up in poundage simply for speed on 3D targets. A light arrow and light bow will yield the same results.

That notwithstanding, I like to pracice with more weight than I use for hunting, which makes drawing my hunting bow in cold weather much easier. But for 3D shoots, I use my regular hunting gear, minus broadheads.

Offline ka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
thanks for all replys. I guess i was really wanting some confirmation on a decision i made to purchase a 62" (2" longer than bowyer recommended) hybrid bow at 56lb. (2-4) lb. lighter than i usually shoot. hoping to have maybe .... the best of both worlds!!

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
I choose a very light very fast arrow and a bow designed to take that combo.It doesn't take much to kill foam.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©