3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Woodies for Turkey Creek  (Read 342 times)

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
Woodies for Turkey Creek
« on: November 13, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »
My new Turkey Creek LB should be done before much longer.

I want to get some shafts ordered and start putting some new arras together before it gets here.

I spec'd the bow to be 52#@28". So it should finish out between 50# - 54# at my draw length of 28". My current arrows are 29" BOP. I've been shooting 190 grain BHs for a few years now and really don't care to switch at this point. And if it matters, I'm planning to use ash shafts.

According to Kelly's spine charts, I should be shooting an arrow spined at 75-80#. Does this sound right to you guys?
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Woodies for Turkey Creek
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
Also, what affect will tapering have on spine?
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
Tapering has pretty much no effect 'cause the arrow bends mostly in the middle-1-2#. I would suggest waiting till your bow gets home-you don't want to hear that.........but there is a big difference between 50 and 54 and your 75-80's may be too stiff if it turns out to be 50#. Don't forget to post pics of the bow!

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
I have found that some LB's like under spined arrows.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
Eric try carbons

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 07:46:00 AM »
Tom, I've thought about carbons, but I have zero experience with them. Since this is my first year back to bowhunting after about a 12-13 year break, carbons are an entirely new concept to me. When I hung up my bow, some of the wheelie guys were just starting to use them.

I guess a part of me just likes the simplicity of wooden arrows...they seem to fit my style a little more. Call it nostalgia...a love of days gone by, simpler times. Heck, I light my campfire with flint and steel. Carry my tinderbox with me every day.

On the other hand, since I'll be shooting a modern hybrid longbow, maybe I should take advantage of the advancements in arrow materials.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©