Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: 300 game  (Read 1136 times)

Offline crunch

• Trad Bowhunter
300 game
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
I was wondering who shoots the indoor 300 game. What sort of "aiming" technique are you all employing?
I'm playing as I attempt to get somewhat consistent.

crunch

Offline Mark Hedges

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 300 game
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
Let me preface this by saying I am far from an expert and there are probably better ways to do this than what I do -

What I do is look down the arrow.  I do not shoot a conscious gap but I do not shoot pure instinctive either, since I am also looking at the arrow.

Mark

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
I shoot 3 under and gap for indoor 20yard 300 rounds.

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
The easiest way to aim is to find a set-up which may also involve changing your anchor point until you can get your arrow tip on the bullseye or near it at full draw. You can learn to use your arrow just as a sight pin. Based on my research...most top 300 barebow shooters aim this way.

An archer can accomplish this by shooting heavy arrows, low poundage bow, longer arrows, raise your anchor point, shoot 3 under and/or string walk.

Ray  ;)

Ray   ;)

Offline longbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 12:37:00 AM »
I choose not to alter my standard form or tackle for an event I don't shoot a great deal. I prefer use it to improve my general archery skill, which it does very nicely. So I just look at the X and try to make a good shot. I haven't set any records but I have won some championships, in the senior longbow division. - lbg

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 07:14:00 AM »
I'm with longbowguy, I dont change anything. I think it is a really good way to hone your skills and it makes me try to shoot a better score each week.

Offline mjc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
We are shooting league right now and I shoot instinctive just like I do at home.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
When I shot indoor seriously with compounds, the best barebow shooters did exactly what Black Wolf described above.  If you can find a setup that makes 20yds your point-on distance, you are ahead of the game.  This is assuming that you are trying to shoot competetive scores and/or win indoors.  This system would probably be counterproductive if you want to shoot instinctive for hunting and 3-D, because it teaches you to focus on the arrow point, not the target.  Good luck, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
Diamond Paul is correct in the "counterproductive" aspect.

The concentration required to stand at twenty yards, and hammer a flat, white, extremely boring, bullseye sixty times is more than I can handle.

I tried different methods of "aiming" to improve my scores and set in motion a host of problems with my shooting.

Now, when shooting on my 300 league, I try to relax, and do my best. The six inch "kill zone" is what is important to me.

It`s all about maintaining, and improving my shooting skills for hunting. Changing my shooting style to improve my scores on paper certainly was "counterproductive" for me.

Offline Mark Hedges

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
not to pry too much but would you guys mind sharing your scores?

I just shot a 229 which is by far my best (previous best was 208).  I am making good progress but there is still room for improvement.

Mark

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
My personal best was 255. My last year average was 239. This year my average was (is) 225.

It was lower at the beginning of the season in January, at around 210. There were a few nights
at the beginning of the season, that were quite a struggle. Good rounds followed by very bad rounds. All mental mistakes.

Five arrows in the four ring means an 80 for one game. Keeping them all in the four ring almost certainly means a few bullseye`s to boot.

Physically, after sixty arrows I have zero fatigue. Mentally after sixty arrows, I`m beat to death.

Monday the 24th is the last night of my winter league, typically that will be my best shooting for the year. No pressure. Further proof that its mostly a mental game.

Honestly, I`m glad its almost over. I do tire of bullseyes.

Soon, the snow will be gone, and my boys and I will be happily stump shooting and hammering the 3-D targets. Those scary bullseyes will be only a memory for a time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©