Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Advice needed  (Read 1410 times)

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice needed
« on: March 19, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
So this is my first bow.  A 50lb Martin that I have been shooting for 8 days now.  I have tried to learn as much as possible from the knowledge here.  I realize that I should be using a lighter weight bow for learning but that will change soon enough.  Advise and critique away, please.    

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
I don't know if you need a lighter bow or not, you look to be drawing that bow very comfortably.  But that's your choice.  I think you look pretty good for only 8 days, but I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable will give you something to work on.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
This is almost impossible to explain without showing you, but here goes.  Everything looks very good, very relaxed, good anchor, smooth draw.  What you aren't doing is using your back muscles to pull through the shot; you are simply "dumping" the string when you shoot.  Your back muscles have to continue to pull through the shot, and your fingers simply relax and pull away from the string; it should be somewhat of a surprise if you do it correctly.  Your shooting hand should move back off your face and end up around the point of your shoulder or under/behind your ear if you correctly pull through the shot.  You really need to get someone who knows how to execute a proper shot to work with you, but that may be hard.  If you know any really good compound target shooters who use back tension releases, they can demonstrate it to you; a proper shot is the same with any kind of bow or release.  Whew!!!  That was long-winded, I know.  However, for a guy who has only been shooting for 8 days, your form is very good.  Good luck, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
Hmmm, 8 days huh. Thats pretty darn good ! To me everything looks great, your holding the bow rock solid, your anchor is solid and remains right there upon release,the weight doesnt seem to harsh for you either. About the only small things are your feet and shoulder position looks a little angled off to the target.Make sure its 90degrees or perpendicular to the target. Also try some canting of the bow to see how that goes.I know with a recurve it may not be as important but with a longbow its very much so.Keep up the good work.I bet your already getting some decent groups.

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 04:10:00 PM »
9 days now.  Thanks for the pats on the back.  So far things just sorted clicked and it feels more comfortable every day. Day one with the new bow, my bow arm did wobble a little at full draw but does not seem to be a problem now.  I will try to go out back to the range later and try some of these new pointers out.  Rather windy here today.
cv,  yes my feet were slightly angled to the target, not perpendicular, that I think should be easy enough to correct.  In the video its difficult to see that there is a slight cant to the bow, makes it easier to see the target for me.

Paul i do have the movie "masters of the barebow vol 1", I will watch it again tonight to see if I can get a visual of what you are describing.  If you own that movie do you know of a clip that shows this better.  thanks, brian

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
Brian, in Masters of the Barebow vol 1 there is a good clip of Rod Jenkins shooting.  He tells how he expands the draw with back tension right before release.  Rod is on this site quite frequently so I'm sure he will explain it better than I can.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
Yeah, if you can watch Rod shoot, you'll see exactly what I'm trying to describe.  The expansion of your back causes your hand to move backwards under tension (back tension).  Rarely have I seen a static release (like you are doing) that didn't pluck the string.  Paul.

Offline Aaron Proffitt 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
Rod actually has about the sweetest form going.Regardless of what kind of bow he's shooting,he appears almost mechanical with his consistency.Mine's a bit more,shall we say,'relaxed'.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »
Not bad at all !

Like others mentioned, it does appear your not pulling with you back and are trying to turn the string loose.

Try this......think of a wall on your left side, now after reaching anchor try to move your draw elbow to that wall, while along the way relaxing the back(only) of your release hand, while you keep trying to move that elbow to the wall. Start out standing very close to your target and totaly focus on these 2 actions....and remember never completely stop pulling, even when holding (if you so choose)at anchor.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
Thanks for advice everyone, after I watch Rod a few more times hopefully this should start to sink in.  After I fling lots of arrows this weekend I'll post some more footage and see if there is any improvement.  thanks again, brian

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
Heres a shot clip of a young lady I've been coaching..whos really catching on about pulling through the shot!

2004 IBO World Champion

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 12:25:00 AM »
May want to turn down the volume on your speakers, its a little on the windy side.  

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »
12 yards out.  

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 12:27:00 AM »

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
Those arrows seem a bit long .Just remember If you shorten them the spine will go up.Its easier for the bow to stabilize a shorter arrow and it will be a little lighter so it makes for a flatter shooting arrow.

Offline Haldir

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »
Hey Rod, is that Kevin's daughter???  Great followthrough!!!

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 07:33:00 PM »
Babaloo: ok, much better than the first video.  You are starting to get it.  However, I would say you need to engage the back even more, and bring the drawing hand back into solid contact with your face.  It appears that your anchor point varies ever so slightly from shot to shot; what I see is that you are a little short of your true draw, if you were to really allow the back muscles to take over.  Try shooting the bow vertical, like the girl in the video Rod showed.  Notice the difference in how tight she gets to her anchor and how much back she uses, as compared to what you have now.  But, I have to say, you look pretty darn good for the amount of time you've been at it!  You must be a natural!  Good luck, Paul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©