Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shooting in the dark  (Read 1044 times)

Offline woodsman3

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting in the dark
« on: March 24, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
Has anyone here tried shooting in the dark to get over target panic. I think it would help me but am not sure. I think without being able to see anything like the bow or the arrow, only the candle or mini glowstick that I am shooting at will help. When I draw back I get my thumb which is between my palm and my face to the corner of my mouth and thats as far as I can get I just can't for the life of me pull it back that extra inch or two. Its not that my bow is to heacy or anything like that I can pull it back to my face in the house. So any thoughts.  :help:

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting in the dark
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »
move close to the target and close your eyes to feel your anchor.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
What smilin said.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
birthday candles; in the dark; its a lot of fun. One at a time ( don't set up a row of them).
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
I tried shooting left handed for a while and used secondary aiming with a very slow tempo to break my jerk release target panic.  Seems like it has worked for me.  The problem I had with trying all kinds of remedies is that as soon I would try to shoot with out the gimics the flinch returned.  Then I would fixated on form and fail to aim.  Another maintenance trick that worked for me was to shoot the sky in a big field, passing jets, give 'em a good lead, the odd cloud what ever.  then go to insanely long shots, then work in closer until you are point on. If you can anchor deep and let the bow shoot it self at point on, you are there.

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
I agree with the move close and close your eyes.  I also fource myself to hold that anchor.  I find it best to draw and hold anchor for a slow three count then let down, don't shoot untill you can anchor through a slow three count without feeling like you just have to shoot.  

Then repeat with your eyes open.  When the overwhelming urge to release is under control repeat the process but after the three count release with a good fallow through.

Another method that works for me is to just think about a solid bow arm and backtension all the way through a three count.  Then after I have my bowarm under control I only think about the backtension through the release.

Either way I hold anchor for at least a three count.  Even though I have had n form of taret panic in several years the form exercizes allways improve my shooting when things are not as good as I would like.

boomer

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 12:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by woodsman3:
 So any thoughts.   :help:  
Buy a clicker. Seriously.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
I'll put a plug in for J.Kidwells book. I bought it and have been working on TP by using his methods. They will work, although don't expect it(or anything else) to solve the problem overnight. The best thing about his book is not that it is new or revolutionary material because you can find similar advice on TG or other sites, but rather that the methods are explained and "why" they work is explained. This helped me in knowing why something works. Otherwise I was taking random advice from others without knowing if it was good advice or not. Jay can explain why certain techniques help and it makes total sense. I am convinced that if I can make myself use his techniques without jumping ahead that my TP will be a thing of the past.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »
i shot at night because i refuse to stop when it get's dark  :D  a deep hook will help with tp because it is so much easier to draw and hold the bow at full draw when you are using your back mucsles!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline woodsman3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
Well thanks for the advice. I think I might try the field thing with the clouds and jets. Thanks for everything else it all helps.

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 01:09:00 AM »
While I'm usually skeptical of people who have the cure for TP; the best advice and $12.00 I spend was Instinctive Archery Insightss (revised edition) by jay kidwell

I highly suggest it.  Goes much further  than the shooting in the dark and at a bale at 5 feet.

While those certainly help his excercises for me and  others have alot more depth.

Good luck!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©